Hey I was just thinking about the twin 80 storey tower over the Holt Renfrew:

• It has occured to me that Holt's and Cumberland Terrace share foundations and a common basement level

• WTF has happened to the Cumberland Terrace proposal with the twin tower condo and redeveloped retail.

• Seems to be these guys are getting ready to co-ordinate their construction schedules to minimize downtime at a very profitable piece of real estate.

• We could see 4 Towers going up one time, 3 of them over 500 feet, 2 of them over 270 meters.

• Yorkville is on a roll, either way, regardless of my theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't quote me on this... but I believe the Holt Renfrew centre was originally going to have condo towers on top, but at the time when it was built in 1978 they canceled that aspect of the project. Ic an't remember where I read that.

The issue now is that closing that store for any duration of time would be a HUGE drain on Holt Renfrew's overall performance. And with a store of almost 200,000 square feet there is nowhere where they could really move temporarily during the construction period.

azzo.....can you say where you happened to see this? :cool:

I cant say exactly who or which Firm I base my information off of- but I will say that I saw the renderings for this project very recently- as of 1 month ago. And yes From what I was looking at and who I was talking to, Holts will be torn down and incorporated.

So this proposed Holt's development, the two Cumberland towers (supposedly), the completion of the Four Seasons, One Bloor, the U towers, and I believe there are a couple of more buildings being proposed for Hazelton, plus the Florian, the one going up next to it, and Milan, then add St. Nicholas and Five behind me and the towers going up on Charles a block away AND Casa II-Chaz-whatever is going there AND X2 nearby AND Museum House AND Exhibit...man, I picked the wrong week to move into the Manulife Centre....

So this proposed Holt's development, the two Cumberland towers (supposedly), the completion of the Four Seasons, One Bloor, the U towers, and I believe there are a couple of more buildings being proposed for Hazelton, plus the Florian, the one going up next to it, and Milan, then add St. Nicholas and Five behind me and the towers going up on Charles a block away AND Casa II-Chaz-whatever is going there AND X2 nearby AND Museum House AND Exhibit...man, I picked the wrong week to move into the Manulife Centre....

LOL, ain't that the truth, fiendish! :D

Don't quote me on this... but I believe the Holt Renfrew centre was originally going to have condo towers on top, but at the time when it was built in 1978 they canceled that aspect of the project. Ic an't remember where I read that.
It was built when David Crombie was mayor. They instituted a 45 feet plan meaning nothing taller than 45 feet. That's why it is so short.

Assuming Holt Renfrew wants to remain in business if these towers are built, I can think of only 2 places nearby that could accomodate a large retail operation. Cumberland Terrace (assuming they don't re-develop until this is built) and the base of 1 Bloor (which should be ready in about 2 1/2 to 3 years).

Last edited:
It would be sad to lose another department store, leaving us with the Bay and Sears! I find it hard to accept that Toronto couldn't support a few more department stores never mind losing one, considering how under serviced the market is. Besides, aren't there always rumours of American chains coming?

wait??? why is this 80 storey talk on this thread??? i'm getting really lost in all the proposals in/around Yonge/Bloor... all of them seem to be really tall!

I'm gonna ask my HR source about this. I do know the HR here is not doing so well, and that the Weston's want to maximize their profits...so this could fit with their plans. Didn't the Weston's have a thing for crazy British architects?...

Holts' lease is up in next 5 yrs and they'll be looking for a new spot.

Assuming Holt Renfrew wants to remain in business if these towers are built, I can think of only 2 places nearby that could accomodate a large retail operation. Cumberland Terrace (assuming they don't re-develop until this is built) and the base of 1 Bloor (which should be ready in about 2 1/2 to 3 years).

In my perfect world they go in Hazelton Lanes.

In my perfect world they go in Hazelton Lanes.

For the interim, yes. But Holts in my opinion should always be among the Bloor Street high-end stores, not among the Yorkville boutique shops.

Last edited:

Back