I'm liking this one a lot more than its first iterations. Not crazy about the rather stolid, stodgy massing but if the materials are decent it's still be a nice addition to University.

There are six that service the office portion.

Two will be added for the residents sticking out of the north side of the building joining parking to lobby to sky lobby.

I do not know how many there will be going up from the sky lobby to the new residential floors.

As I posted in the 501 Yonge thread, I consider this thing to be boring boring boring, even more so than 501 Yonge. It's hard to fathom that any sort of architect was involved.

Seriously disappointing.

As I posted in the 501 Yonge thread, I consider this thing to be boring boring boring, even more so than 501 Yonge. It's hard to fathom that any sort of architect was involved.

Seriously disappointing.

Boring = more $$$

Condo buyers are pretty conservative. Glass boxes are cheaper to build. I don't mind this one too much but my expectations were pretty low.

I appreciate the fact that people esp on this forum demand higher quality designs, but let's be honest that not every condo should or can be of breathtaking design. Most of them are meant to be functional for people to live in - isn't it the primary use of condos? And if those buyers who are paying $300k -$1M for these properties don't mind, who are we to judge this is not good looking enough?

More residential towers on University Ave is fantastic news (besides RCMI). Currently it looks like a desert during the weekends.

I appreciate the fact that people esp on this forum demand higher quality designs, but let's be honest that not every condo should or can be of breathtaking design. Most of them are meant to be functional for people to live in - isn't it the primary use of condos?

Do we really need more mediocre buildings on University Ave?

Do we really need more mediocre buildings on University Ave?

I happen to believe that mediocre buildings are still better than lack of buildings/people who live there.
I don't think Toronto will be an aesthetically beautiful city in general ever, let's not delude ourselves, but it still has the potential to become a highly dense, vibrant and livable city ( at least downtown) unlike most in North America.
Forgive me for using Tokyo has an example again - this city is filled with mediocre buildings. Actually there are few that can be considered remotely beautiful, but I just love it and will take Tokyo over beautiful Vienna or Chicago any day.
Of course it is just my personal preference and I am sure most on this forum wouldn't agree.but the fact is, in 95% cities, 95% buildings are just mediocre. We can't expect each one to be a master piece.

Last edited:
I happen to believe that mediocre buildings are still better than lack of buildings/people who live there.
I don't think Toronto will be an aesthetically beautiful city in general ever, let's not delude ourselves, but it still has to potential to become a highly dense, vibrant and livable city ( at least downtown) unlike most in North America.
Forgive me for using Tokyo has an example again - this city is filled with mediocre buildings. Actually there are few that can be considered remotely beautiful, but I just love it and will take Tokyo over beautiful Vienna or Chicago any day.
Of course it is just my personal preference and I am sure most on this forum wouldn't agree.but the fact is, in 95% cities, 95% buildings are just mediocre. We can't expect each one to be a master piece.

Yeah I've been tempted many times in threads like this to mention Tokyo and similar cities. The average Tokyo building would be mercilessly lambasted on this forum. I also prefer it to the skylines of cities that focus on landmark buildings like Dubai, it's a bit garish.

From what I have seen, this is not bad at all - at least it seems to have a plan vis-a-vis the street. University is a perfect place to be lined with 55s buildings, though the tower portion isn't as nice as the base. Calling the design "mediocre" and comparing it to 70s concrete buildings in Asia is a bit of a stretch I think, and it will add density in a perfect place.

the name sounds like B.streets and U Condos had a child.

The base is nice and there are some good design details, however the tower is very generic looking and needs some relationship with the articulated podium. A clean curtainwall system for the residential tower would do wonders here.

From what I have seen, this is not bad at all - at least it seems to have a plan vis-a-vis the street. University is a perfect place to be lined with 55s buildings, though the tower portion isn't as nice as the base. Calling the design "mediocre" and comparing it to 70s concrete buildings in Asia is a bit of a stretch I think, and it will add density in a perfect place.

everytime you talk about Asia as if it is an inferior thing in general, as if in terms of architecture, Asian cities has little value.
maybe so compared with Paris or Barcelona, but Toronto's lacklustre buildings really don't get to be dismissive about "concrete buildings in Asia". As mentioned before, there is nothing in GTA that is remotely comparable to the quality and diversity of the buildings on the "Bund" in Shanghai for example. Kyoto's historic buildings are 1000 years older than the "heritage" Victorians in Cabbagetown or the Annex we seem to be so proud of (therefore a lot more historic value).
There are probably 10 Asian cities that have better achitecture than Toronto.
Being a bit modest won't kill you. If you think all Asia has is 70s moss park type of concrete blocks, you are being incredible ignorant.

Last edited:
You have to admit that the 'ghost cities' in China are rather depressing! Now back to this particular project.

You have to admit that the 'ghost cities' in China are rather depressing! Now back to this particular project.

yes, probably 5 ghost cities compared with 160 which have over 1M living souls (which means 160 more populous than Ottawa/Calgary).

Back to the project. The residential portion doesn't take your breath away (like 99% projects), but one it is not final, and two, it is not below the average quality of all those glass towers in downtown at all. projects like the L tower only come once every few years. I actually like the entrance on University in the rendering.

Last edited:
Wow. That's quite the rant against Canada and only one day after Canada Day. You need to visit the suburbs and small towns more to see the diversity of housing and retail across the whole country. We have a ton to be proud of here :)

And NOW back to the project...

Back