Let's hope the DRP slaps it around a bit. EDIT: A lot.

That was yesterday??.......CITY OF TORONTO DESIGN REVIEW PANEL AGENDA: MEETING 11 - November 13, 2014

COMMITTEE ROOM 3, 2:50 pm 387 Bloor Street East (Bloor and Sherbourne)
Rezoning Application, 1st Review
Easton’s Group of Hotels
Presentations:
Jennifer Renaud, Community Planning; Rong Yu, Urban Design
Sol Wassermuhl, Page + Steele | IBI Group
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...an Design/Files/pdf/DRP/NOV 13 DRP Agenda.pdf

Is there no one out there who can design towers with balconies to not look like balconies. Some how enclose them more. What a boring generic design. Not right for the core. Can we not have towers like in other international cities? something like a tall slim roundish building that looks good from all sides, and have the balconies set in.

Balconies take up 80% of a condo's facade nowadays. This is due to the narrowness of the condos units being built and the sheer number of them per floor. I really don't see too much difference between inset balconies and those cantilevered off the side. Units are more functionally designed when the balconies appear as added square footage instead of incorporated. I do think the better firms have done a reasonably good job in incorporating them into their tower designs.

Is there no one out there who can design towers with balconies to not look like balconies. Some how enclose them more. What a boring generic design. Not right for the core. Can we not have towers like in other international cities? something like a tall slim roundish building that looks good from all sides, and have the balconies set in.

X2, L-Tower, 1 Yorkville and E Condos South Tower all have (or will have) inset balconies

I was thinking the other day that given the super cheesy/misleading names this company gives their projects, and the fact they also use MS, that The Rosedale Condos name may apply to this site, not Lanterra's.

The Rosedale On Bloor.............http://therosedaleonbloorvip.ca/

The Rosedale On Bloor is a proposed mixed-use condominium by the Easton's Group of Hotels located at 387 Bloor Street East and will consist of two buildings. Tower A will have a proposed 49 storeys (163.1 metres in height) with an 8 storey base that steps down to 2 storeys fronting Bloor Street East but might be changed to 53 storeys in height if they get approval from the City of Toronto. Tower B will have 12 storeys (47.7 metres in height) fronting Selby Street joined by a one storey base and is proposed for commercial office use space or as a hotel.

Looks pretty sleek, wasn't expecting that based on the drawings alone. Granted the perspective is from far away and its only a rendering. But I don't mind a glass box here since there most of what's around that block is clad largely in precast & concrete.

Saw an add for this development in "Metro" today.

Further if I understand correctly, the "appeal" was allowed per the OMB website.

The OMB essentially ended up ratifying an agreement that the developer and City worked out. The taller building (to be called Rosedale on Bloor) will now be 52 storeys as opposed to 49, and the shorter building on Selby will be 10 storeys instead of 12. A 188-room hotel will be part of the development. The tower has been generally redesigned since the rendering above was created.

Back