Wow! In perspective mode you can actually see that this building is totally going to block One Bloor East tower from this photo shot. As seen in the last few photos on the previous page !

I love your building @Broadeaves - early - and excellent - Clewes. Mostly-forgotten fact: the penthouse was the residence of Michael Parks' character Tommy O'Shea in Death Wish V: The Face of Death (another one for your 'Toronto standing in for other cities' list, @interchange42).

In fact, that same unit last traded in 2019 and some pictures of it are here: https://streetsoftoronto.com/toronto-condo-for-sale-409-bloor-st-e/
Thanks @ProjectEnd! I like it too. Didn't know about the movie! The penthouse is really fabulous, with its own greenhouse too.
Coincidentally, Wallman Clewes Bergman was the first architecture firm I ever worked at, but I missed working on this project by a year or two, but made up for it by doing drawings for The Indigo, another nicely designed classic of that firm that incorporated similar elements like the horizontal window divisions and corner windows.

I love your building @Broadeaves - early - and excellent - Clewes. Mostly-forgotten fact: the penthouse was the residence of Michael Parks' character Tommy O'Shea in Death Wish V: The Face of Death (another one for your 'Toronto standing in for other cities' list, @interchange42).

In fact, that same unit last traded in 2019 and some pictures of it are here: https://streetsoftoronto.com/toronto-condo-for-sale-409-bloor-st-e/

Wow what a blast from the past... I owned the condo with the terrace seen at the bottom of Broadeaves' photo https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/img_3067-jpeg.393583/ and remember the filming mayhem. Never knew this building (known as "The Rosedale" back then) was a Clewes design.

I knew the couple who owned the penthouse and visited a couple of times (amazing)... btw the greenhouse seen below was not part of the original building but added by the those owners, likely with the proceeds from that film shoot lol ;-).

I remember my monthly maintenance fees were around $650 (back in the mid-nineties) so suffice to say the penthouse fees would have been "through the roof". My terrace looked over Rosedale Ravine, but also had a spectacular SW view of the downtown core... long before the 55 storeys of new neighbours were planned a few feet away.

409BloorPH_HR2.0-23-copy.jpg

Link

Don't mind me, I just tease people when they post pictures from their cars. I always crop mine out for plausible deniability that I wasn't driving and texting, officer :p
Same here. Have totally never taken a picture while behind the wheel, I swear!

Also looking at these farther out photos and seeing just how much this stands out at 185m makes me think how crazy this will look in 10 years time with all the 200m+ buildings in the pipeline for this area.

I was down on danforth the other week for a concert and driving on the bridge over the DVP at night left this tower feeling massive, and gave me super big city vibes.

Back