I find this kind of ironic... developers evict residential tenants unnecessarily all the time as soon as they buy a property because they don't want to deal with the hassle of tenants and don't need the money. Brad Lamb did not evict these tenants, even though he should have since the units were unsafe and illegal. He did the "nice" thing and is now getting pummeled for it in social media. Kind of funny.

I hope the tenants have renters' insurance, because this is awful. They should also get compensation.
...but of course it should go without say though, that landlords evicting tenants over dubious reasons is really a entirely separate issue from keeping tenants under dubious conditions. Not sure why these are now being conflated outside of alt-think reasoning. /shrug

Reactions: nrb
Can't believe he is full on lying about this and calling the tenants liers now. They have no reason to lie about this. He's going full on Donald Trump.

AE540E57-55AB-400A-9262-B1391A0D7062.jpeg
66503E10-5F84-4B9C-936E-A30D6DF1F094.jpeg
D32DCADC-E0BA-45B4-9E76-18001903A4F5.jpeg
076C2E2F-364B-4180-9EE5-9EAC6AF66ACF.jpeg

The business of asserting that a tenant is lying (even were it true) is poor optics.

Brad should never run his own communications.

The man has no concept of diplomacy and optics.

Some people never effing learn. This is the predictable canned, back-pedalling response that results from public blowback created by questionable business practices. How about just being a moral, upstanding citizen from the start?
It would be nice if he just owned this to begin with.

Can't believe he is full on lying about this and calling the tenants liers now. They have no reason to lie about this. He's going full on Donald Trump.
I remember those two (Lamb and Trump) trading insults over each other's hair styles back many sometimes ago. I have no idea how those two got in it with each other...but it just shows the grade school level of maturity, professionalism and empathy we shouldn't be surprised to expect of with these petty minded characters. And I think I am being overly polite here. /bleh

I find this kind of ironic... developers evict residential tenants unnecessarily all the time as soon as they buy a property because they don't want to deal with the hassle of tenants and don't need the money. Brad Lamb did not evict these tenants, even though he should have since the units were unsafe and illegal. He did the "nice" thing and is now getting pummeled for it in social media. Kind of funny.

I hope the tenants have renters' insurance, because this is awful. They should also get compensation.

I'm pretty sure Brad Lamb did not inherit these tenants when he purchased the property. He sent out a mass email to his marketing list in December 2019 advertising hard lofts for rent: "Loft style rental opportunity! Two recently renovated units now available in The Junction at 1407-1409 Bloor St W..." with photos that match those seen in the recent news articles.

The timing and the wording implies that he renovated these units after purchasing the property, and rented it out to these tenants. (If not these tenants, depending on how long the current ones have been there, then there were others before these ones, that he was also responsible for).

So just to be clear, he definitely did NOT do the 'nice' thing.

If he was responsible for the renovation, then he was either aware of the safety issues and ignored them, or was just flat out negligent. To actively then go and seek out renters, knowing the units were unsafe is terrible. And then after this whole fiasco to offer zero assistance is just adding insult to injury.

Another problem for Lamb is that one of the booted tenants is a social-media influencer with 816K followers on IG and another is a pretty well-known actor with 33K followers on Twitter. They're young, they're attractive, they're white. Without being disrespectful, these sexy Millennials/Gen Z's are not your standard poor, brown, down-and-out types with the usual sob stories.

The lawyers are already swirling. The media's all over this too and they're going to stick with it. For Lamb, I'm sure this is way more than he bargained for. I predict he'll settle out of court.

(And let's be real. The fact that this particular story is getting so much play right here on UT is a testament to its "sexiness." People get mistreated and evicted in Toronto all the time but I've never seen an eviction story with this much mileage before.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Brad Lamb did not inherit these tenants when he purchased the property. He sent out a mass email to his marketing list in December 2019 advertising hard lofts for rent: "Loft style rental opportunity! Two recently renovated units now available in The Junction at 1407-1409 Bloor St W..." with photos that match those seen in the recent news articles.

The timing and the wording implies that he renovated these units after purchasing the property, and rented it out to these tenants. (If not these tenants, depending on how long the current ones have been there, then there were others before these ones, that he was also responsible for).

So just to be clear, he definitely did NOT do the 'nice' thing.

If he was responsible for the renovation, then he was either aware of the safety issues and ignored them, or was just flat out negligent. To actively then go and seek out renters, knowing the units were unsafe is terrible. And then after this whole fiasco to offer zero assistance is just adding insult to injury.
Oof. In that case, Lamb Corp was super negligent. The tenants in those units are going to make bank if they sue (and they should).

A developer with the experience Brad Lamb has should never in a million years have rented out those units to people without questioning their safety and code status.
He risked people's health and lives. But who cares, right? He's just a busy man trying to survive and provide employment to people. *eye roll*

A developer with the experience Brad Lamb has should never in a million years have rented out those units to people without questioning their safety and code status.
He risked people's health and lives. But who cares, right? He's just a busy man trying to survive and provide employment to people. *eye roll*

If anyone had actually died, his career would be over.

Seriously. I was going to jokingly say "Thank God they were only gradually poisoned over time!".

The amazing thing is this will have very minor consequences for Lamb because development is a sacred cow in Toronto and in Canada. Any and all concerns are superseded by the apparent wisdom in having a MASSIVE piece of your economy rely on property values. Not productivity toward improving society or innovating or working toward better ways of living - just keeping the real estate values increasing year by year. That's the goal and it means we don't question the goals and actions of the development industry.

These victims of carbon monoxide poisoning are the most visible fallout of this attitude, but they are only the ones with the most visible suffering - just the tip of the iceberg in a society where many people don't have access to affordable housing at all in the first place.

Back