I'm happy the city rejected this application, and I hope the OMB upholds the city's decision. I have lots of reasons why I don't like either the application (not so much the height though it is a concern with the school right there, but the type of housing planned and the cheap architecture) or the applicants.

Last edited:
Agree the design and height is not suitable for this location and the builder is known to make very very cheap units so this project would be all renters which does not hold well for a neighbourhood...

I see no problem with something this tall or even taller at the confluence of two streetcar lines, one of which being on a dedicated ROW. There is absolutely no case that this would be 'too tall' or 'too dense.' Like ShonTron, I have a much bigger problem with the Kirkor and the Wynn Group partnership.

I see no problem with something this tall or even taller at the confluence of two streetcar lines, one of which being on a dedicated ROW. There is absolutely no case that this would be 'too tall' or 'too dense.' Like ShonTron, I have a much bigger problem with the Kirkor and the Wynn Group partnership.

Just because there's two streetcar lines doesn't mean it's ok to build a glass box that would ruin the low-rise character of the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Just because there's two streetcar lines doesn't mean it's ok to build a class box that would ruin the low-rise character of the neighbourhood.

A very tall condo at this location would definitely impact the neighbourhood. But I don't necessarily think a 15-25 floor condo would, if built right, using quality materials, with a good design that respects the adjacent land uses and character of Spadina and the neighbourhood.

The trouble was that this would be a cheap tower, designed by architects with a lousy track record, jammed full of students, proposed by a property owner/landlord with a sketchy reputation, replacing a SRO hotel for which some sort of alternate accomodations should, ethically, be found.

wow like projectend said having a streetcar near by doesn't mean you can build anything you want from these sketchy builders.

Toronto Preservation Board to ask Heritage Preservation Services to review if the buildings are heritage:

"This report will make recommendations based on the evaluation of potential cultural heritage value of the property at 484 Spadina Avenue also known as the Waverley Hotel and the Silver Dollar Room.

Located on the west side of Spadina Avenue just north of College Street, this property contains the four-and-a-half storey Waverley Hotel (1916-17) and the one-and-a-half storey Silver Dollar Room (1957-8)."

Not surprised. The move for heritage designation was an attempt to stall any approval of the Wynns' plan for this site. It isn't a building really worth saving for its heritage value.

Just because there's two streetcar lines doesn't mean it's ok to build a glass box that would ruin the low-rise character of the neighbourhood.

put quality aside, how will a glass box "ruin" the neighbourhood? Does that mean College/Spadina is exclusive to those who can afford to have a low rise house there? Lowrise is not a character - it is just a way of human habitation.
if one loves lowrise character that much, move north of Bloor and preferable as far away from Yonge st as possible. There will be minimum threat of highrises.
Two streetlines is an excellent reason to densify - more people will have easy access to transit, why not? Plus it is not like those two story houses at College/Spadina is Beacon Hill or something. They are just average houses, not even pretty ones.

put quality aside, how will a glass box "ruin" the neighbourhood? Does that mean College/Spadina is exclusive to those who can afford to have a low rise house there? Lowrise is not a character - it is just a way of human habitation.
if one loves lowrise character that much, move north of Bloor and preferable as far away from Yonge st as possible. There will be minimum threat of highrises.
Two streetlines is an excellent reason to densify - more people will have easy access to transit, why not? Plus it is not like those two story houses at College/Spadina is Beacon Hill or something. They are just average houses, not even pretty ones.

Why don't you take a walk over to College & University, Bay St, South Core, or the Entertainment district and tell me whether you think those places are more interesting, attractive, and likeable than low rise streets like College/Spadina and Queen. I'm all for more density, but some areas are simply not appropriate for tall buildings that stick out like a sore thumb. Yet somehow that's perfectly fine because there are two streetcar lines, so why not just demolish any building less than 20 storeys, until every storefront is replaced with a wall of glass filled with chain stores. Why not do the same on the Danforth, since there's a subway running underneath it. How about we let the developers finish off restaurant row as well, so that the last remaining smidgen of charm on King West is finally gone (because lalalalalalala close to Union station).

If I wanted to live in such a boring place, I would move to Mississauga or Liberty Village. But I'm not surprised that you like what Toronto is becoming.

Buildings are essentially for people to live or work in. The beauty is just an added benefit.

The entire Bathurst St is not urban, definitely among the worst one can do about a downtown street. It probably can pass as a street in Vaughan with hardly anything taller than 3 stories and worst of all, no retail at all.

what's to see beyond Bloor st, Church st and Spadina ave? it is just a huge flat land with low rise houses, just like what you will see in Dallas.

Last edited:
Save us from the tyranny of those who would impose their vision of a perfect Toronto on the rest of us!

Why don't you take a walk over to College & University, Bay St, South Core, or the Entertainment district and tell me whether you think those places are more interesting, attractive, and likeable than low rise streets like College/Spadina and Queen.

Its not the tall buildings that suck but how they meet the street. Improve the street elements and you won't even notice the tower above.

True. The height should not make a difference as long as the street-level experience is rich and engaging. Too often that fails to happen, but that's at least partially a street/urban culture issue, not solely the fault of developers.

Back