I thought those Xs were meant to be different sizes depending on the section of the tower on purpose....some sections are fatter than others so the Xs have to be fatter too

Was thinking the exact same thing, so I don't know what he's talking about.

Cheap window wall on the residential, cheap podium glass on the office tower, terracotta fins not going all the way round the podium. Small details but noticeably cheapens the look.

What does that have to do with the size of the X's being different sizes on of the office tower???

Maybe a reference to the fact that the arms of some of the faux cross-braces aren't perfectly straight / properly aligned? From the angle that photo was taken, there's a bend visible through the centre of the middle X in the middle section. Same with the top one in that section.

EDIT - Here, I highlighted them on @Riseth's photo:
IMG_20210715_162223774_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a reference to the fact that the arms of some of the faux cross-braces aren't perfectly straight / properly aligned? From the angle that photo was taken, there's a bend visible through the centre of the middle X in the middle section. Same with the top one in that section.

I don't know how you could possibly tell that from a picture taken at that angle, but that's just my opinion.

Green glass was a design choice, not a corner cut. Spandrel nightmare on the residential is Tridel's fault, not Allied's.
But a choice of something more cost efficient over something is that is not, at least where some of us stand. (I think Mr. 42 has something more to say on that.) As for the said nightmare, no matter who made that choice here, it's still cutting corners as far as I am concerned for the project as a whole.

...that said, most everything else here seems to be done in relatively good faith, IMO.

I don't know how you could possibly tell that from a picture taken at that angle, but that's just my opinion.
The red lines drawn on don't intersect with the crossbeam right in the corner. The corner where the X beam and the cross beam intersect is hidden by the panel that sticks out.

The buildings are fine - everything will look good once it's finished.

My biggest concern is some of the decisions made regarding the leasing / programming of the space. I think losing the movie theatre and leasing a major retail space to Sweat and Tonic /Konrad was a really poor decision, and it's going to result in a big dead zone on the second floor of the mall. What reason would anyone have to come up here? If you don't work at Konrad or if you're not a bougie gym rat, this part of the mall will basically be off limits. The theatre would have drawn late night traffic into the heart of the retail concourse, but now it's just going to be a desolate passive space with a gym and office entrance.
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.40.06 PM.png

I wonder what happened with the movie theater deal, as per earliest rendering as well
Would have been great!!!

The buildings are fine - everything will look good once it's finished.

My biggest concern is some of the decisions made regarding the leasing / programming of the space. I think losing the movie theatre and leasing a major retail space to Sweat and Tonic /Konrad was a really poor decision, and it's going to result in a big dead zone on the second floor of the mall. What reason would anyone have to come up here? If you don't work at Konrad or if you're not a bougie gym rat, this part of the mall will basically be off limits. The theatre would have drawn late night traffic into the heart of the retail concourse, but now it's just going to be a desolate passive space with a gym and office entrance.View attachment 336133
While I agree with your assessment of what will happen to the upper mall, and with the impending lack of nighttime pull in particular, it was not that the cinemas were cancelled so much as it was that no cinema chain was willing to lease the space. After years of no-one coming on board to present films, it makes sense—unfortunately, for the reasons you outlined—that they retooled the space for a commercial office tenant.

While I agree with your assessment of what will happen to the upper mall, and with the impending lack of nighttime pull in particular, it was not that the cinemas were cancelled so much as it was that no cinema chain was willing to lease the space. After years of no-one coming on board to present films, it makes sense—unfortunately, for the reasons you outlined—that they retooled the space for a commercial office tenant.

Oh I get the thought process, I just think the way to handle the change in programming was poorly thought out. They gave over a substantial amount of retail space to pretty private and restrictive uses. I'm ready to be proven wrong, but I just think it's going to end up being a pseudo off limits area within what was supposed to be a publicly accessible retail concourse. I can already see security guards roaming the upper southwest corner keeping people from drifting too close to the Konrad entrance. No fun.

Back