I feel like they could've done more with that theme than just a bunch of cat sculptures/silhouettes. Cool idea though!
True, there's room for improvement. What really makes me happy is that they're gonna plant catnip! The guardian statues flanking the entrances are pretty cool, too.

Last edited:
From yesterday
well oct 9.jpg

well oct 10.jpg

always feels misleading when they post a render of a park and paste in 30 year old trees, we're not going to actually enjoy that view for a long time

I like that the cat theme is subtle and it feels appropriate to me since cats and cat people are (generalizing) more low-key or quiet than dogs and dog people. As a cat person, a cat fountain or similar would be very "loud" to me in a similar way to the intense high-key energy of dogs and their hyper barking and running around etc. and boisterous social attitude (of both the dogs and their people). All that is great for dogs and dog people, but a nice relaxed quiet restful place with some dignified, beautiful, or cute cat sculptures feels exactly right to me and much more in line with cat energy. Will be neat and nice to see if some real cats ever wander in :). I love the guardians at the gate as well!

@urb@ndweller that shot of seeing The Well through the trees at Clarence Square is incredible! I haven't been down around there in a while, but even before when the building wasn't yet at its full height its height and presence really felt quite different and cool from that area and down at Front. It's cool to see it framed by the trees there, and that north view of the office tower with its incredible stairs is always so striking. Every shot or perspective I see of it from the north really grabs my attention.

Silva Cells. Google items about them at:

Photo from the Google Item:

View attachment 352296

(...and the original posting was my photos)

@AHK is quite correct.

But I'll add some detail.

These are used to prevent soil compaction and afford room for tree roots to grow more easily, thus helping trees survive, but also thrive, achieving greater height, canopy (width of branches), and a longer life span.

Compaction occurs, when you put paving of any sort over ground, and people, and heavier items (snow plows, riding lawn mowers, sidewalk cleaners etc.) go over the sidewalk, and in addition to normal settling add weight and pressure
to soil below.

* compaction can occur without any paving as well, based on usage

This causes that soil to harden, which impairs root growth directly, but can also impair moisture getting in and giving the tree roots what they require for survival.

Silva Cells are not inherently necessary. Their utility has to do w/the choice of paving material and the volume and type of traffic overhead; as well, as whether adjacent surfaces are also hardened/compacted.

They have maximal utility in high density areas and areas with extensive hardscape.

Thank you both for the information. This is an awesome community for knowledge sharing!

October 10, 2021:

Sunday morning of the Thanksgiving Holiday long weekend - 8 AM.

The big push appears to be on. After working until 2 PM yesterday, the tower crane and external construction hoist for The Well office tower are already at work this morning.

20211010_081145.jpg

Edit: Late morning - sun now out, and work on installation of the rooftop glass railing in the south-west corner.

20211010_114659.jpg

Edit: Still working on Sunday afternoon, 4:45 PM, when we left to go to our family Thanksgiving dinner.....

Last edited:

Back