By the way the Public Notice states this will be a 51 story condo tower ON TOP OF and 8 storey podium.........so were talking a 60 storey and maybe 200+ meter baby here.

It's possible but there have been instances where that wording was used only to specify the size of the podium. It may indeed only be 51 storeys.

Wasn't meant to be smug just an observation.

My point really was that Toronto could easily fit another 100,000 into the Dufferin/DVP/Dupont/Waterfront area without batting an eye whereas Vancouver's downtown population growth from here on will be modest.

By the way the Public Notice states this will be a 51 story condo tower ON TOP OF and 8 storey podium.........so were talking a 60 storey and maybe 200+ meter baby here.
All the notices are put this way. It means there is an 8 storey podium in the 51 storey building. This includes the 8. So above the podium will be 43 more storeys.

Speaking of prime parking lots I have always wondered who owns the big one between Richmond and Adelaide just east behind John? Across from much music by the fire station.

As long as they don't tear down those lovely townhomes.

You know looking at that pic I realize how many parking and vacant lots there are in downtown Toronto. It just seems weird because in Vancouver I don't there is even one left.

Railway went up to King Street in areas. The rest was warehousing. Vancouver, of course, had it's share of mills and railway lands too. They started redeveloping alot earlier at a lower density. Smaller area to cover too.

Speaking of prime parking lots I have always wondered who owns the big one between Richmond and Adelaide just east behind John? Across from much music by the fire station.

I've always wondered this as well. I walk by it on most days and wonder when it will finally be filled in, completing the streetwall from University to west of the Scotiabank Theatre.

This will be a very jam-packed area in the next 5-8 years or so:
King Blue, The Bond, 87 Peter, PJ Condos, whatever happens to the MEC property, not to mention the Gehry-Mirvish towers, etc.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 2,045
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,957
That looks awful, and has a huge mechanical box on top.
What's the point in having all these decorative flourishes on the building, but then leaving a blank ugly box on top?

Yet another glass tower next to a block overflowing with glass, and yet another building whose salient architectural flourishes reside in eccentric balcony placement. How about architecture that consists of more than glass and weird balconies?

Plus, why does there always need to be a podium? Why can’t recent buildings ever have a consistent aesthetic from top to bottom, rather than a bottom chunk that looks out of place?

Will this building be affecting the block of houses down the street or is this simply the parking lot being redeveloped?

As long as they don't tear down those lovely townhomes.

You know looking at that pic I realize how many parking and vacant lots there are in downtown Toronto. It just seems weird because in Vancouver I don't there is even one left.

I think you're right, Vancouver is done!

Will this building be affecting the block of houses down the street or is this simply the parking lot being redeveloped?

If you are referring to the block of houses on the west side of Widmer (42 Widmer and up) , between Adelaide and Richmond, currently used by the hostel - my understanding is they are pending redevelopment. Greenpark...

If you are referring to the block of houses on the west side of Widmer (42 Widmer and up) , between Adelaide and Richmond, currently used by the hostel - my understanding is they are pending redevelopment. Greenpark...

Nope, though I know of those too. I'm referring to 10-20 Widmer. Judging by the size of the parking lot across from Cinema this building will just take up the parking lot but god knows it's sad to watch this area rapidly homogenize itself in built form. I mean, god forbid we shouldn't have yet another 40-50 story glass and steel structure between Spadina, Queen, University and Front. That said, hopefully this development will only be replacing the parking lot. There's certainly nothing to complain about one less parking lot.

Back