I don't think King West Condos got cheapened - it looked like trash from the outset. My faith in them has grown substantially after Ivory on Adelaide (though I'm still baffled by the decision to build a colonnade and massive planter boxes that totally deaden any street presence). It looks like they may have gotten it right with this most recent project.

You're right.

with each tower consisting of 450-500 units and some projects with multiple towers, that's about 4,000 units right there.

there's already a dozen or so towers to be completed in the next couple years, ED will be nothing more than condos and all the entertainment will be pushed out with the type of use limitations in the condo buildings.

They must build more condos to stop this! Anyways, I don't even know what these planners are doing with some of the areas downtown, especially the entertainment district. Seems like the plan is "put up some towers and have some restaurants in the base". Pretty basic and boring. ED should have been midrise buildings IMO.

A bit more entertainment in the "Entertainment District" would be nice. To call this area a "Theatre District" is a bit of a joke when both St. Lawrence and Dundas Square both have more live theatres. A couple of theatres do not make a Theatre District.

Besides the Royal Alex and the Princess of Wales Theatres, the area also features two performing arts venues in Roy Thomson Hall and Glenn Gould Studio. The John Bassett Theatre at the Convention Centre is occasionally filled by audiences as are studios in both the CBC HQs and the CTV (former CHUM/CITY) Building for show tapings. Audiences watch Second City make fun on Mercer, just across the street from where the Theatre Museum Canada will be built at King Blue. Across the street from Theatre District Condos at Cinema Tower, there's a live community theatre space in there that should be open soon. The new OCAD facility in one of the Mirvish podiums is supposed to get a theatre-in-the-round. Then there's that other, not quite so live type of theatre that we also call a cinema: there are five of them down the block at King in the TIFF Bell Lightbox, and 18 of them up the block at Richmond branded 'Scotiabank'.

So I can agree the area is no Broadway, but it's a glass-half-empty POV to look at the area and declare that "it only has two theatres".

Really looking forward to this one. Hope though it would at least have smooth 8ft ceilings and some more modern decor as opposed to the same packages they using in most builds now.

So I can agree the area is no Broadway, but it's a glass-half-empty POV to look at the area and declare that "it only has two theatres".

... one of which many here were eager to see knocked down (talk about bringing down the house!). Not to mention the fairly recent loss of the Diesel Playhouse on Blue Jays Way for some condo podium. I don't know, to name the area a 'theatre district' is to overreach and under-deliver. Entertainment District fits much better.

... one of which many here were eager to see knocked down (talk about bringing down the house!). Not to mention the fairly recent loss of the Diesel Playhouse on Blue Jays Way for some condo podium. I don't know, to name the area a 'theatre district' is to overreach and under-deliver. Entertainment District fits much better.

Except the "entertainment" part has taken a beating over the past couple of decades.

Yes, I can see justification in calling this the Entertainment District but not the Theatre District. Toronto doesn't have a proper Theatre District, our theatres are all over the place and we only have a hand full of significant, commercial theatres.

From the Joe Cressy Ward 20 Residents' Newsletter:

Pre-application Development Consultation - Tuesday March 24, 6-9pm, Metro Hall, 55 John Street

This meeting will present development proposals for 30 Widmer St, 23 Spadina Ave, and 602-620 King St W. There will be an opportunity for questions and comments from the audience.

This one has been reduced to 475 feet/145m, and 47 storeys.

The four-storey height reduction has been achieved by moving all of the parking underground. Bicycle parking is on the second, third, and fourth floors. Retail on floors one and two. Amenities on floors three, four, five, and six, with five also being the top of the podium. This makes the podium four storeys shorter than the plan currently shown in the dataBase file. We will have some new renderings up soon.

This one has been reduced to 475 feet/145m, and 47 storeys.

The four-storey height reduction has been achieved by moving all of the parking underground. Bicycle parking is on the second, third, and fourth floors. Retail on floors one and two. Amenities on floors three, four, five, and six, with five also being the top of the podium. This makes the podium four storeys shorter than the plan currently shown in the dataBase file. We will have some new renderings up soon.

If the new design included an Off- or Off-Off- Broadway sized theatre space as part of its podium, it would be a great addition to the nabe.

Agreed… but this is a much smaller site than Cinema Tower's across the street where Artscape's Nightwood Theatre is supposed to be opening soonish. Fitting in a theatre here would be an interesting trick. Maybe replace the first floor of underground parking?

Back