The city's planners made a mistake, but their recommendations are usually sound. In this case, the podium setback is perfect so that it doesn't compete with the Royal Alex's facade--the most important architectural landmark on the street. Planners wanted a conventional podium to maintain the street wall. As for the height, I don't recall the city's position, but I think a building with a distinctive facade like this one should be tall to really stand out. I find that Royal Bank Plaza could be more impressive if it were taller. But that shouldn't trump shadows and precedent setting issues.

Last edited:
Adam Vaughan is also not big on height in much of his Ward, then there's that ridiculous "skyline tapering" policy. He fought a hard battle over Shangri-la, and Festival tower. Admittedly, I would have liked to have seen this a little taller too, it's turning out great so far.

construction update from today

IMG_20140320_182834.jpg

Is it me or the quality of facade and the building is really nice.

its really hard to see something of that quality going up in Toronto.

Yes, as much as I bitch and moan about condos in Toronto, the quality has been getting much better. Buildings are not only getting taller but more interesting too. (look at L Tower, 1 Bloor, 1 Yorkville and Picasso)

I agree!

I also keep River City 3, Parade, Exhibit, Core, Totem, Pier 27, and of course Theatre Park on my "Condos that aren't crap" list.

While it's a shame that they aren't more visible on the skyline, we've being seeing a considerable influx of more architecturally interesting smaller condo over the last 2 years.
A few examples are Abacus (my personal favourite), Origami, the Berkeley Field House, Alaska, Howard Park, and Spadina+Queen.

I have new onsite and have not gone through all of the posts here so not sure if this has been asked or mentioned. How the heck did Mirvish not get his hands on this property? I work across the street and have been watching this tower rise day by day. Though not a big fan of it at first am really loving it now.

Back