There are some terrific "box" buildings but I like breaking the mould too, here with Theatre Park and Residences of RCMI with their slim profiles, then there's the ICE twins. Building "proportions" are being broken everywhere, you need only scan page one of 'Projects & Construction' for evidence of that. One could argue that the Empire State Building is out of proportion or context with it's surroundings.

I feel like in this case - there was not really a lot of design considerations - a developer just wanted to stack as many saleable floors into one small lot to maximize profit.

I think you're right about not being in the majority on this one, so you're already aware of general sentiment around here, but I think it's still worth saying the following: you may not like the proportions, but to ruminate over a lack of design consideration on this building, I find that a little odd. The diagonal banding on Theatre Park show there's been more design consideration here than on 90% of what gets built in Toronto. Finding the proportions here pleasing or not is pretty subjective, but attention to detail here isn't really in doubt.

To my eye, Theatre Park promises to look great: waiting for the balcony glazing to complete the look will require a bit of patience, but I expect we are going to be rewarded in the end.

I think I am not in the majority on this - but I think the building is too thin for its height. It sort of reminds me of a pair of buildings on Hong Kong's Happy Valley hills known as "the chops sticks" because they look so ridiculously slim. I especially get this impression looking north from the Metro Centre park where the context of buildings around it emphasize this. There have been general rules of building proportion going back a long way. Mies van der Rohe actually built a big mock-up of the TD centre to make sure the proportions really worked. I feel like in this case - there was not really a lot of design considerations - a developer just wanted to stack as many saleable floors into one small lot to maximize profit.

I do like the proposed entry courtyard though...

Isn't that every developer? At least this one looks good.

22 Feb 2014
skinny & fat
sEHXa9x.jpg

I figure the higher units will feel some sway with that slender building. I lived on the 23rd floor in a tower and could feel the building swaying on windy days.

After seeing this building for the first time a few weeks ago I'm really digging the design. The cross hatching really fits its smaller shape. Can't wait to see it completely covered.

After seeing this building for the first time a few weeks ago I'm really digging the design. The cross hatching really fits its smaller shape. Can't wait to see it completely covered.
I think that cross hatching will really pop when it's integrated into the balconies on north and south side of the building.

I think I am not in the majority on this - but I think the building is too thin for its height. It sort of reminds me of a pair of buildings on Hong Kong's Happy Valley hills known as "the chops sticks" because they look so ridiculously slim. I especially get this impression looking north from the Metro Centre park where the context of buildings around it emphasize this. There have been general rules of building proportion going back a long way. Mies van der Rohe actually built a big mock-up of the TD centre to make sure the proportions really worked. I feel like in this case - there was not really a lot of design considerations - a developer just wanted to stack as many saleable floors into one small lot to maximize profit.

I do like the proposed entry courtyard though...

I'm sorry, I have to call you out on that.
This building is not very slender.

THIS building is slender, and it was approved in NYC without any concerns over "inappropriate massing", as what happened with 24 Mercer: http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/09/revealed-111-west-57th-street.html

I agree with you on the courtyard, it will be a wonderful space when this project opens...

We aren't NYC...but for Toronto a 47 storey building on a 60 foot wide lot is still impressive, as far as being slender is concerned :) That NYC one is just crazy!

I figure the higher units will feel some sway with that slender building. I lived on the 23rd floor in a tower and could feel the building swaying on windy days.

You shouldnt be feeling sway on the 23rd floor, lol
Favela building?

Back