Reporters should bring photos of these renderings and ask Ford and Tory if they really believe that Therme is going to make these pure glass walls and why they're not asking for renderings that reflect reality and allowing this company to scam the public interest and public dollar with renderings that in no way will be reality.

Our fearless leader Tory would probably give an irrelevant-to-the-question 1000 word run on sentence of excuses and dodging explaining how he is 100% exactly moderate and sensible and become indignant that someone would even ask the question, but someone should really try to push him on it and why he's not standing up for the public interest of the city here and allowing this nonsense. Hold these fantasy renderings up and really ask if he believes this and why he's allowing himself to be deceived and manipulated by this company through obvious fake promises and allowing this company to deceive and manipulate all of us to give away our public space with these unachievable rendering promises. Ask them how allowing these scam renderings to go unchallenged when the public is the client is "respecting the taxpayer"?

If our leaders believe these renderings they are complete fools themselves, or the other option is they understand these renderings are BS and are letting the company push their unrealistic scam on the public without speaking out against it. Both very bad.

The fact that Tory isn't standing up and saying anything about this Ontario Place situation is extremely cowardly and I expect that from him, but he needs to be pushed on it.

Last edited:
November 2022 Market Update release earlier today. Relevant Ontario Place information see below:

Project Ontario Place Site Servicing
Project Phase Pre-Procurement
Model CM
PDC/TA Procurement N/A
Issue RFQ N/A
Issue RFP December 2022
Contract Execution Apr - Jun 2023
Design & Construction Cost < $200M

Projects in Planning Phase: Public Works, Education and Justice
Ontario Place Landscape and Public Realm Construction

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

November 2022 Market Update release earlier today. Relevant Ontario Place information see below:

Project Ontario Place Site Servicing
Project Phase Pre-Procurement
Model CM
PDC/TA Procurement N/A
Issue RFQ N/A
Issue RFP December 2022
Contract Execution Apr - Jun 2023
Design & Construction Cost < $200M

Projects in Planning Phase: Public Works, Education and Justice
Ontario Place Landscape and Public Realm Construction

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/uploadedFiles/_CONTENT/News/2_Market_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

Project should just be nixed, reallocate the dollars elsewhere until we have a compelling idea here.

A shame to see this thing proceeding apace.

Just noticing that Therme is spending £250millionGBPs (~$398m CAD) on their Manchester spa, which is set to be built in an industrial park outside of Manchester.

But Therme is only spending $350million CAD on their Toronto location, where land and building costs would be astronomically higher than a suburban industrial park outside of Manchester.

I wonder if the Toronto spa complex will just be a massively scaled down version, or is Doug gifting the Ontario places lands to Therme for basically nothing? Would love to see how much Therme is going to be paying to lease the west island? $1/year?

These distracting pie-in-the-sky renders aside, it seems to me that the commercialized direction of the proposed revamping of Ontario Place is wrong-headed and tragically short-sighted. It's not unlike the Ford administration's loathsome move to go back on its 'solemn' word and break up the Greenbelt out of sheer old-fashioned cronyism and horrendously outdated thinking. Ugh.

These distracting pie-in-the-sky renders aside, it seems to me that the commercialized direction of the proposed revamping of Ontario Place is wrong-headed and tragically short-sighted. It's not unlike the Ford administration's loathsome move to go back on its 'solemn' word and break up the Greenbelt out of sheer old-fashioned cronyism and horrendously outdated thinking. Ugh.

If there is one thing his government has taught us, it is that we can rip up all the contracts and retroactively legislate against getting sued afterwards.

AoD

If there is one thing his government has taught us, it is that we can rip up all the contracts and retroactively legislate against getting sued afterwards.

AoD
In good conscious, they should do that with Therme here. But this is not a government of good conscious...and putting it mildly. /bleh

The focus at Ontario Place should still be on celebrating Ontario's culture and place in the world. I'd be a lot more receptive to this project if there was a focus on celebrating Ontario's culture instead of the escapist interiors seen in the renderings.
As much as I actually like the Therme concept (unlike most here it seems), I do agree with this. I'd like it if they showcased more of Ontario's flora.

As much as I actually like the Therme concept (unlike most here it seems), I do agree with this. I'd like it if they showcased more of Ontario's flora.
There really hasn't been any mention of liking or disliking the design for this per say. Rather the more important issues of whether they can pull this off as rendered. And whether should be allowed to pull this off at all.

I just had a look at the Therme rendering. Something tells me that their planned beach isn't going to have free public access. I can only hope this project is added to the Unbuilt Toronto book series.

Province submits development application with City of Toronto for reimagined Ontario Place​

Sigh.

Application is not on the public side of the AIC.

Assuming someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll have it posted when it is.......

But I have to confess, I'm not at all hopeful.

I'm not sure they could MZO their way through this...so I guess they decided to play "nice" instead.

Back