GTFO, boomer!
I’m a boomer? Is this comment for all boomers or what you think all boomers are? I had to look up GTFO so I guess I’m not so hip as to say right back at you! BTW I really like the look of the proposed building.

I’m a boomer? Is this comment for all boomers or what you think all boomers are? I had to look up GTFO so I guess I’m not so hip as to say right back at you! BTW I really like the look of the proposed building.
Without a doubt, age-based profiling can be inaccurate, as is much profiling. That said, it does occur in both directions, and "Millennials" (I prefer the term Gen Y), have certainly been vilified by many in older cohorts.

I do think derision of the NIMBY reaction to this proposal was appropriate, although the salty language used and tying it to age may not have been.

I mean...
1613753271180.png

Considering generational privilege and entitlements in the context of access to housing isn’t ageism any more than raising issues of white privilege is racism.

...one can hope he's found a place next to an abode where its occupants band practice speed metal in the garage at all hours. 😼

Or Country. I cannot imagine anything more torturous.

...the thing is, he may actually like country. So that even ups more the probability that he'd hate speed metal. Therefore, I would go for that throat first!

Currently, the team is working through some of the details to ensure it moves ahead as planned.

“We’re trying to figure out how to tick all the boxes and meet the requirements at the same time,” said Fadi Shlah, project manager with Chandos Construction, the construction manager on the project.

The team is taking part in value engineering workshops in an effort to ensure the project meets net-zero and sustainability targets while also meeting eligibility requirements for government funding.

“We’re trying to balance that with getting the project to go and I think we’re very close, but it’s definitely been a challenge that we’ve faced,” Shlah said.

“The fact that we’re (Chandos) so strong on the IPD contract model has helped us. We’ve brought 25 designers and subtrades into rooms to do these value engineering workshops. It’s everybody putting their heads together and trying to come out of this for the benefit of the project.”

The building envelope, structure, mechanical and electrical elements of the project are being reviewed.

“Embodied carbon is one of the things we want to try and keep but there are conversations about switching from mass timber to steel,” said Shlah, adding this would be a cost saving measure.

The cladding system the team chose is a long lead item from Spain, he noted.

“It goes from Spain to Calgary and then to Toronto, so we’re trying to source a similar product locally,” Shlah noted.

The building was designed in consultation with the community.

“When we have Indigenous projects, a lot of the design of the building is done in consultation with local communities and local elders just to make sure that there is the Indigenous theme within the design of the building itself,” said Laronde.

The building will include design elements that reflect Indigenous culture.

“It’s got very interesting triple pane argon window glazing and some cladding as well with colours,” Shlah said. “There is also some very customized millwork with beautiful decals. The construction hoarding will feature art created by local Indigenous artists.”

New elevation drawing added to the DB. The height changed from 21.50m to 24.26m. Taken from the arch plan via SPA.

PLN - Architectural Plans - Arch_2217 Kingston Rd-13.jpg

Reactions: PMT

Back