M5A

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if there is an official link for this site / development but these 2 properties were recently sold to Metropia Urban Landscapes who are involved with Emerald Park. I remember reading about a rumor that the Acura Dealership was moving but this sale includes the Sobey's building (based on the address).

Very interesting... and entirely unsurprising. It's one of the last undeveloped lots in that area, especially with the humongous parking lots occuping most of that block.

Yes, very interesting - I wonder if it includes the rooming house at the SW corner of the block (The Esplanade and Lower Sherbourne.)

The Acura folk have this Zoning Review in to the City, not sure what the answer was but I bet if it's not zoned for them now it could be.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Notice Sent

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 282165 ZAL 00 ZR Accepted Date: Oct 21, 2010

Project: Non-Residential Building New Building

Description: PAL to construct new auto dealership on existing vacant lot. Honda / Acura.

Here's the Google Street View looking southeast from the corner at Sherbourne. The land includes the parking lot, the Acura dealership, and the Sobey's.

177FrontEGoogleStreetView.jpg

Isn't this PAL application to the City for "a new Acura / Honda dealership" ??

That's what it says - on Eastern Avenue (right beside the new Infiniti dealer at corner of Front/Eastern/Trinity).

thus the 'sub-urban' land use nature continues ~

Seriously -- why do we have the sprawling parking lots of car dealerships taking up space downtown? Surely one can drive to the suburbs to buy a car.

But what if you don't have a car yet?? Won't someone think of the children!

The Sobey's is a great store. Hopefully it will incorporated into the new proposal rather than tossed into the bin of progress.

The Sobey's is a great store. Hopefully it will incorporated into the new proposal rather than tossed into the bin of progress.

"great", I don't think it's 'great' but it is a useful addition to the grocery choices in the neighbourhood and I shop there quite often. Sometime Sobeys has things that are not at Metro or Loblaws and the main problem of the store is that it is too small to offer everything that larger Sobeys store have. Lack of parking is also a big turn-off for some people. Incorporating it into a new building would be great but I bet the rent would increase and it might then not be viable.

The size of this plot is quite huge, rivals the size of VU, as its a near complete city block.

In less than 10 years the 'lower' Sherbourne (and King) corridor has already been completely transformed.

And with the addition of :
-the coinciding sale of the the Greyhound site
-apparent approval of Bauhaus
-sale (redevelopment?) of Accura/Sobeys site
-Sherbourne Park
-Waterfront George Brown Campus
-East Bay side

The next 10 years should see another complete transformation as well.

The size of this plot is quite huge, rivals the size of VU, as its a near complete city block.

The only part of the block not included appears to be the rooming house at corner of Lower Sherbourne and The Esplanade (15 Lower Sherbourne). I bet they are talking as this site is too small for another building and if they don't sell before they do something with the huge lot they will be screwed.

Back