If I saw a massing housing development was going up in my neighbourhood, yes, there would be legit reasons to be concerned.

I guess I just look at that flyer and am reading between the lines that AFFORDABLE and RENTAL are what they are hilighting. Who cares that it's RENTAL?
(Funny tangent: Almost right next door to this is a very nice RENTAL apartment complex so it'd be extra funny if they were among the residents concerned about all this. After all, RENTAL is one thing but AFFORDABLE RENTAL, now that's a whole other matter! Basically a homelessness camp, right? :) )

I can't tell if I'm paranoid and some us just see NIMBYism lurking behind every corner (or flyer) or if this is just a "normal" flow of information throughout the neighbourhood. Does seem it could be framed less alarmist, doesn't it, though?
I was surprised to see how well organized the NIMBY’s in this neighbourhood are. In the opposition to the modular housing on Cummer they were actively searching for an alternate site, in an area with less political capital than them, that they could push the development to and that community wouldn’t be able to fight back as strongly as they our community was fighting to get rid of it.
There is a lot of great rentals in the area already, the ones right to the north as you say as well as the ones south at Cummer and Bayview.

the issues this community seems to hate is affordable housing, they frame it as a safety concern, homeless will be littering the streets with passed out bodies and needles etc that kind of fear mongering

I was surprised to see how well organized the NIMBY’s in this neighbourhood are. In the opposition to the modular housing on Cummer they were actively searching for an alternate site, in an area with less political capital then them, that they could push the development to and that community wouldn’t be able to fight back as strongly as they our community was fighting to get rid of it.
There is a lot of great rentals in the area already, the ones right to the north as you say as well as the ones south at Cummer and Bayview.
It had certainly crossed my mind that this is not far at all from the Cummer development.

I don't want to be Super Urbanist who can't at all relate to the idea of having AFFORDABLE HOUSING going in next door being a concern; I get it. But as others have said, there's a certain hysteria some people have. I know this area well and I think the proposal looks very good. It's not some
1,500 new units? It's a lot, I guess. But I don't get the sense it's the school overcrowding that's the issue here.

Obviously the comments here are general NIMBY stuff (we of course agree we need housing! we just want to worry a bit about consequences and greenspace and, you know, put it elsewhere) but this struck me:
Kasravi said increased vehicular traffic on an already congested Bayview is among his primary concerns. “Anybody that lives north of Lawrence knows that Bayview gets backed up from Sunnybrook (hospital) all the way up to Richmond Hill … during rush hour every day,” he said.

I've never seen this in my life; and even less so in the past couple of years. The fact that's he also concerned about it being close to the ravine (just like, you know, the rest of the neighbourhood) also amused me. What about the groundwater in this area that was developed back in the 1960s?!?!
But not as much as this:

STORY BEHIND THE STORY: When reporter Andrew Palamarchuk learned a new group had formed over a proposed residential development at Tyndale University, he wanted to find out more about the residents' concerns about the impact of the project on their neighbourhood.

The story behind the story is that he heard about the story and wrote the story? Isn't that....the story?

I've not read the article but it sounds like people worried that their house prices are going to plummet 🙄

People are worried that the new development will hurt local property values??
That's like #3 on the NIMBY Top 10 list, right behind, "We moved here because we like the neighbourhood the way it is," and "Of course we understand we need more housing and density, we just don't think it makes sense here."
So it's definitely stuff you could have guessed without reading the article.

Yeah, y'all don't have to worry about your property values, North York. Indeed, if anyone has EVER produced evidence that the development they feared negatively affected property values, I'd love to see it.

North York Local News gonna North York Local News... ever thus...

NY_MIRROR_NIMBY_Stories_2021.png

I semi regularly drive on Bayview from Hwy 7 to Eglinton during rush. It's not backed up the entire way, obviously. But there are serious jams at every controlled intersection, especially at York Mills. This latter stretch is usually backed up solidly all the way to Post Road in northbound afternoon rush.

edit: I'm not saying that to oppose this development. But we must improve transit and other infrastructure to soften concerns about development.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if Jennifer Keesmaat's involvement might actually hurt the proposal. Keesmaat exemplifies the urbane cosmopolitanism of downtown, something the crank neighbours clearly don't want in their backyard.

I'd be curious to see how she performed in the local poll in the 2018 election.

Back