I semi regularly drive on Bayview from Hwy 7 to Eglinton during rush. It's not backed up the entire way, obviously. But there are serious jams at every controlled intersection, especially at York Mills. This latter stretch is usually backed up solidly all the way to Post Road in northbound afternoon rush.

edit: I'm not saying that to oppose this development. But we must improve transit and other infrastructure to soften concerns about development.

Completely agree - York Mills is a particular mess (partly because you're approaching the 401), as is Sheppard. Even there, it doesn't stretch all the way to Lawrence, much less Eglinton. But the idea this stretches solidly to Steeles - where the development will be - is the problem. Traffic's a problem but the reason isn't a mystery; it's a problem because these people live in the area and own cars and drive. This kind of hyperbole isn't going to strengthen their argument.

I can't help but wonder if Jennifer Keesmaat's involvement might actually hurt the proposal. Keesmaat exemplifies the urbane cosmopolitanism of downtown, something the crank neighbours clearly don't want in their backyard.

I'd be curious to see how she performed in the local poll in the 2018 election.
That area of DON VALLEY north was pretty strong JOHN TORY country in 2018 - as was most of Toronto...

2018-election-citymayor-e1541638679131.jpg

SOURCE - https://seanmarshall.ca/2018/11/07/mapping-the-results-of-the-2018-election-part-i/

As much fun as it is to smack-talk the North York NIMBYs on-line, the real-work is done by showing-up at the meeting(s) to support this project.

PUBLIC MEETING for the NORTH YORK Site in the article is TUE. OCT. 19th - https://toronto.webex.com/toronto/onstage/g.php?MTID=e5d569bfc03afb191b8611f7e7df91251
Yup! Have already written the project with my support, also raised the issue of this group spreading misinformation with their illegal street signs to “stop the back room deals”.

Will be at the meeting to voice my support.

The NIMBYs in this area have deep pockets. This could get interesting.
Key is pretty well known in the community. Deep pockets (apparently) to fund flyers in all the mailboxes, deep pockets to put up maybe 100 lawn signs illegally all along Bayview and the surrounding area, well known to the trustees, the MPPs and the councilors in the area. It will be interesting indeed!

Last edited:
Key is pretty well known in the community. Deep pockets (apparently) to fund flyers in all the mailboxes, deep pockets to put up maybe 100 lawn signs illegally all along Bayview and the surrounding area, well known to the trustees, the MPPs and the councilors in the area. It will be interesting indeed!

I guess they're pretty well organized, though it's not like their signs or petitions look particularly professional. Reminds me a bit of the ratepayers who decided to toss Anne Johnston for correctly realizing that the Minto towers made sense at Yonge/Eg. I'd think Caroll is smart enough to give these people some space and then somehow make the proposal more palatable to them.

But, as with Minto, even if Council panders and shortsighted down, eventually the residents will learn that all those lawn signs don't count for much once you get to the OMB (or whatever it's called this week).

I’ll
I guess they're pretty well organized, though it's not like their signs or petitions look particularly professional. Reminds me a bit of the ratepayers who decided to toss Anne Johnston for correctly realizing that the Minto towers made sense at Yonge/Eg. I'd think Caroll is smart enough to give these people some space and then somehow make the proposal more palatable to them.

But, as with Minto, even if Council panders and shortsighted down, eventually the residents will learn that all those lawn signs don't count for much once you get to the OMB (or whatever it's called this week).
I think you are correct. Caroll’s office has been working with this group directly already.

I had some free time this evening so I attended the virtual community meeting hosted by the city.

Over 400 people attended, and they reached capacity on WebEx.

The comments from the public ranged from pro-YIMBY, to fair concerns over issues like school overcrowding, to the typical thinly veiled racism of "too many renters will mean more crime."

It helps that the two local area councillors - Shelley Carroll and John Fillion - represent wards with huge swathes of new development (NYCC, Sheppard East), so they were fairly balanced in their appraisal of the development and concerns of residents, rather than siding purely with the latter.

I had some free time this evening so I attended the virtual community meeting hosted by the city.

Over 400 people attended, and they reached capacity on WebEx.

The comments from the public ranged from pro-YIMBY, to fair concerns over issues like school overcrowding, to the typical thinly veiled racism of "too many renters will mean more crime."

It helps that the two local area councillors - Shelley Carroll and John Fillion - represent wards with huge swathes of new development (NYCC, Sheppard East), so they were fairly balanced in their appraisal of the development and concerns of residents, rather than siding purely with the latter.
I found it a bit depressing that few commenters seemed to have actually read anything on the project website and get their info from Facebook groups that we know are echo chambers.

I’m happy a working group will be set up if it will help combat the deluge of nonsense these NINBY’s are throwing at it, and the actual issues get resolved

If someone local can get some "NIMBY Sign in the Lawn of a McMansion next to a Mercedes SUV" kind of photos of these signs above in-their-natural-habitat it would be much appreciated. Thx!

Back