Forgive me for my ignorance, but what Toronto residents are around that area are they talking about? As I see mostly university buildings, museums, parks and government buildings...not what I would call residential, save for the unfortunate persons relegated to the park benches overnight.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what Toronto residents are around that area are they talking about? As I see mostly university buildings, museums, parks and government buildings...not what I would call residential, save for the unfortunate persons relegated to the park benches overnight.

The most active 'residents' on this are from the Harbord area (west of Spadina); and the Annex (north-west of Bloor/Avenue).

That said there are students and a few faculty who live on campus; as well as nearby in Yorkville and in the Bay-Wellesley area.

Certainly, there are no non-uni residents directly in that block.

There are uni residents across the street, and to the west at Trinity.

The nearest non-university residences are Museum House and Exhibit, plus the Park Hyatt Residence in the near future.

Yet, with all due respect, there is nothing in the immediat area of this facility. Unless they're planning to build it 200 m plus, I don't see what the issue is. And even so, as last part of my handle implies, I won't really be seeing it from my neck of the woods even if they make it 600 m plus.

Well all of Toronto's highrise dwelling elite lives in One Bedford so I imagine the residents there did a lot of bitching and moaning about this. There's also Museum House, EXHIBIT tower, etc. Lots of well-heeled NIMBYs in those parts.

Well all of Toronto's highrise dwelling elite lives in One Bedford so I imagine the residents there did a lot of bitching and moaning about this. There's also Museum House, EXHIBIT tower, etc. Lots of well-heeled NIMBYs in those parts.
I get that ...as that has been mentioned before. However...

One Bedford at 109.42 m
Museum House at 71.01 m
EXHIBIT Residence at 99.97 m

Versus:

Centre for Civilizations planned for 42.75 m

...strikes me a bit of the kettles calling the pot black here, to put it mildly. As I am also pretty sure that CfC would likely pose little obstruction from where those buildings are standing. More like the other way around.

Source: From UT Database and SkyscraperPage

One Bedford at 109.42 m
Museum House at 71.01 m

Versus:

...strikes me a bit of the kettles calling the pot black here, to put it mildly. As I am also pretty sure that CfC would likely pose little obstruction from where those buildings are standing. More like the other way around.

One may vary one as to the virtues of this project or lack thereof..........

But I don't think the kettle/pot reference is fair here.

Those Bloor St properties (good, bad, or otherwise} are the north side of the street; the Hyatt excepted, in what was a fairly mediocre retail block; and really didn't diminish or overwhelm anything of value.

I think one needs to understand the argument here, irrespective of whether one agrees with it.

The argument is not 'building is too tall' in general, or in the area...........it's building is too bulky/tall next to 2 different heritage properties (ROM and the U of T building), and it overwhelms those buildings which people value.

Toronto, relatively speaking, has few heritage properties of exceptional value for a city of its size; we're a very new city.

I happen to like this building..........but not where it is proposed.

I have not gone to the extent of formally objecting/sending in negative remarks to the City.

I appreciate that U of T is trying hard.

I think they probably made a mistake buying the property for what they did; but that's a digression.

I'm ok w/people defending the project, which has much to redeem it, and is of academic value.

Do I feel it represents the best possible outcome for this site, both in terms of scale/massing and in respect of landscape.........No.

It's ok to differ, as long as one can intelligently articulate their objection or endorsement, and do so while being polite towards others.

I spent six years parked in this corner of the campus. Best thing that could happen in the area. The husk of the planetarium is a waste of space, and I think the plan will actually make the ROM and the EJB look better. And of course the space is needed. U of T should tell the rich to the north and the tweedy, whinging horde to the west to orally extract the juice from some yellow citrus fruit.

Nothing like those

One Bedford at 109.42 m
Museum House at 71.01 m

Versus:

You have got to wonder whether all that noise has to do some folks not liking the south view altered.

AoD

Nothing like those

You have got to wonder whether all that noise has to do some folks not liking the south view altered.

AoD

It's even less relevant given the current power locus in GYRA (one of the main ring leaders here) consists not of those in 1 Bedford, Museum House, or Exhibit, but of board members and residents at 10 Bellair, 80-100 Yorkville, the Hazelton, the Regency, 1 St. Thomas, and the Four Seasons. A number of the most powerful developers in the city live in those buildings and know how to cause a ruckus.

At risk of generalizing, they just hate anything that doesn't align with their own personal design predilections (which tend towards historicism, despite the fact that few of those buildings are of that style), which this proposal very much does not.

One may vary one as to the virtues of this project or lack thereof..........

But I don't think the kettle/pot reference is fair here.

Those Bloor St properties (good, bad, or otherwise} are the north side of the street; the Hyatt excepted, in what was a fairly mediocre retail block; and really didn't diminish or overwhelm anything of value.

I think one needs to understand the argument here, irrespective of whether one agrees with it.

The argument is not 'building is too tall' in general, or in the area...........it's building is too bulky/tall next to 2 different heritage properties (ROM and the U of T building), and it overwhelms those buildings which people value.

Toronto, relatively speaking, has few heritage properties of exceptional value for a city of its size; we're a very new city.

I happen to like this building..........but not where it is proposed.

I have not gone to the extent of formally objecting/sending in negative remarks to the City.

I appreciate that U of T is trying hard.

I think they probably made a mistake buying the property for what they did; but that's a digression.

I'm ok w/people defending the project, which has much to redeem it, and is of academic value.

Do I feel it represents the best possible outcome for this site, both in terms of scale/massing and in respect of landscape.........No.

It's ok to differ, as long as one can intelligently articulate their objection or endorsement, and do so while being polite towards others.
To be clear, I'm not in love with this proposed building either. For one, it could be soooo much better than they're offering. Two, they are to my understanding pulling down the much iconic McLaughlin Planetarium - a building that seems far more advance in design, despite its age, IMO...and making no concession to that, beyond the nuke it and replace option.

That said, I find what irks me when the credulity of these residents from newly installed buildings (two of which are awkwardly bulky as well), are protesting development dynamics to which their abodes have mainly benefited from. And to which would likely have little or no impact fo their property values, even if the thing was planned to be used as a Walmart outlet.

So yes, their position needs to be much more intelligent, less selfish and in tune with all us passerby'ers who walked, cycled or driven by what's there currently since our childhoods. As we would be likely be far more affected and impacted by this development, than they are. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Back