The U of T owns the land and building, so it's not exactly up to the ROM how it is used.

We sort of need a TOMOMA. Nice ring to it.

greenleaf:

Well, to be honest I think they could make better use of it than ROM anyways, considering the needs of the law school and faculty of music.

AoD

The ROM is about to celebrate their centenary, and splitting up certainly isn't part of their plan. Fundraising and philanthropy will be the major corporate focus for their next phase, and that's quite a challenge given the fiscal mess the Province is in. With $5 billion in fundraising going on in Toronto ( $2 billion at the U of T alone ) ... stay tuned!

Maybe the ROM should follow in U of T's footsteps and open a satellite in Mississauga...just a suggestion :)

Indeed, I've made several posts over the years suggesting the Crystal Lite approach - Kingston, Sudbury and Windsor might be good locations - and the Museum is aware of the idea. Structurally, the ROM could build up - a couple more floors on their Curatorial Wing is technically possible - which would liberate display space on the ground floor, and there has been talk of their getting office or storage space in whatever replaces the Planetarium.

Given that Renaissance ROM was only half completed, there's still a lot of room to grow on the existing site. The South Crystal was never built. If they need to expand again, I say they build the south wing as originally proposed.

RenRom didn't include building to the south of the Curatorial Wing, though, and the sale of the Planetarium site has nixed the possibility of an east-west linking wing unless they build up as indicated.

Faculty of music students were recently asked to vote on a massive fee increase to help alleviate the "structural deficit" that the faculty has.

http://thevarsity.ca/2013/02/25/music-students-asked-to-approve-160-fold-increase-in-fees/

Of note in that article:

The faculty said should the levy pass, its priorities are to retrofit the MacMillan Theatre, fix practice rooms, finally gather enough money to run the McLaughlin Planetarium, and hopefully attract more donors, who are less likely to give if they see financial problems within the faculty.

If you are wondering how the vote went:

http://thevarsity.ca/2013/04/01/music-students-approve-steep-fee-increase/

Thanks TOareafan for posting - why would money collected from this levy be used to run the defunct planetarium, which has absolutely nothing to do with music education?

AoD

Thanks TOareafan for posting - why would money collected from this levy be used to run the defunct planetarium, which has absolutely nothing to do with music education?

AoD

Right ... what the heck ... ? I love it though ; )

AoD

With the ROM's lease on the building ending in 2014, I think the goal of the Dean/Faculty is to make the building have something to do with music education. He/they have plans to utilize this building as well as redo the MacMillan Theatre.

TOareafan:

There has consistently been rumours about the Faculty of Law and Music using the site somehow but no concrete info was available to the public regarding the site.

AoD

Back