Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The lobbyist registry indicates lobbyists have been brought on board in furtherance of redeveloping this property.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32274​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Zoning by-law amendment and Site Plan application for proposed redevelopment located at 5201 Dufferin Street.

This lot and 4925 Dufferin (University of Toronto's Institute for Aerospace Studies appear as a single, un-divided lot on TO Maps.

Given comparatively recent investment in the latter, and its isolated location at the rear of the lands, I have assumed {rightly or wrongly) that they are not in play here.

I have therefore highlighted only the Dufferin fronting 5201 site in the aerial pic below:

1630415655973.png

Site size: ~ 2.5 ha/ 6.25 ac

These lands are home of University of Toronto Press, and may have other functions, I'm not sure.

I don't know whether the intent here is institutional or commercial/residential, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Should the University wish to grow UTIAS it has surface parking and other vacant land available.

The adjacent sites to the north are in the redevelopment process for mixed use, high density.

The lobbyist registry indicates lobbyists have been brought on board in furtherance of redeveloping this property.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32274​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Zoning by-law amendment and Site Plan application for proposed redevelopment located at 5201 Dufferin Street.

This lot and 4925 Dufferin (University of Toronto's Institute for Aerospace Studies appear as a single, un-divided lot on TO Maps.

Given comparatively recent investment in the latter, and its isolated location at the rear of the lands, I have assumed {rightly or wrongly) that they are not in play here.

I have therefore highlighted only the Dufferin fronting 5201 site in the aerial pic below:

View attachment 345273

Site size: ~ 2.5 ha/ 6.25 ac

These lands are home of University of Toronto Press, and may have other functions, I'm not sure.

I don't know whether the intent here is institutional or commercial/residential, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Should the University wish to grow UTIAS it has surface parking and other vacant land available.

The adjacent sites to the north are in the redevelopment process for mixed use, high density.

I *think* UTL may still have an off-site storage facility there, I have vague memories of contacting them for materials when I was at UTSC. Incidentally they, and York, are expanding off-site storage facilities for materials as the trend in academic libraries is to cede more and more space to "collaborative" workspaces and such and less and less to actual repositories of materials. The new Robarts addition, for example, will have little to none actual bookshelves.

I *think* UTL may still have an off-site storage facility there, I have vague memories of contacting them for materials when I was at UTSC. Incidentally they, and York, are expanding off-site storage facilities for materials as the trend in academic libraries is to cede more and more space to "collaborative" workspaces and such and less and less to actual repositories of materials. The new Robarts addition, for example, will have little to none actual bookshelves.

They still do:

But I think it is further down the UTIAS site - and it was expanded again back in 2014.

AoD

Back