It's better than doing nothing at all about it.

Everyone should feel better about themselves.
...as long as we still recognize those injustices of the past and are willing to make those amends to it where need be.

Ummmmm, nice idea.............some potential execution issues.

Tree List:

Tamarack is a wetland edge tree (Ontario's non-evergreen conifer), I'm iffy on it surviving this type of setting. Also not the most urban-tolerant of species. Lovely mind you.

A conifer that turns bright yellow in the fall.

Among the herbaceous plants.........

Pitcher Plant would be awesome if they intended to create a Bog or a Fen............but I don't see that on that plans.

It occurs to me to add a note.........Pitcher Plant is a meat-eater. A comparatively rare trait among Ontario plants.

Scouring Rush on the other hand loves the soggy, partially shaded areas of the Leslie Spit............

I applaud the idea..........but I struggle to see how they're going to make many of these plants work; they are very habitat-specific; and not the same habitats.
This once was a very wet area when Taddle Creek ran through it... there was also once the possiblity proposed of putting a pond in here and levelling the Queen's park bridge.... I think maybe this area is naturally a little bit wet? not sure

This once was a very wet area when Taddle Creek ran through it... there was also once the possiblity proposed of putting a pond in here and levelling the Queen's park bridge.... I think maybe this area is naturally a little bit wet? not sure

I wasn't alive when the creek flowed through here, LOL..........but the one or two pictures I've seen don't show it as exceptionally soggy. The pond that was here was man-made by damming the creek (McCaul's pond).

But today, the creek is buried in pipes underneath (and can't be used as a water source due to cross-contamination with sanitary sewage)

You can, and they propose to make topographical adjustments so that rain will college in 3 low spots.

That will certainly sustain some species that need more moisture than average, at some times of year.

But a species requiring bog habitat is a bit more demanding.

It's also not merely a matter of water............the water has to lean slightly acidic.

Rainwater run-off, in urban areas actually tends to lean slightly alkaline.

To be clear, you can make the right habitat..........but it's involved; and would likely require ongoing maintenance and possibly a dedicated water source.

20E1D558-A981-4331-B282-7CFE15418777.jpeg
36086D64-5344-400D-9A7D-92462A8BC153.jpeg
569EEB07-F847-49C9-BF84-0F82DFD88903.jpeg

Bit of action here today; but a challenge to get good shots. Between chain link fences that made me feel vertically challenged; and site filled with random stuff!

But........my best efforts, from February 4th, 2021:

First, some tree protection zones have popped up in Hart House Circle, so I assume work there is contemplated soon.

1612483056263.png

Now the main site:

1612483098023.png

Between the fence and the sun in the south-west, I moved over to the steps of Med-Sci:

1612483155380.png

1612483179915.png

1612483210355.png

Err...what is it are they shoring for again? I'm pretty sure it's not done to support a very think layer of sod. Or if it is...goodness.

Err...what is it are they shoring for again? I'm pretty sure it's not done to support a very think layer of sod. Or if it is...goodness.

Single floor of underground parking (all surface parking removed)

Geothermal system

New sod/landscaping

Geothermal system

New sod/landscaping
Oh okays. And thanks for explaining that. As I am sure there was probably something about this a few pages back or so... 😅

...I suspect that the local geese are a bit testy about having one of their prime feeding ground upended for the duration though. /goose nimby'isms

Geothermal system

New sod/landscaping
Hopefully this is the last time one of our public institutions does such a massive carbon-intensive (concrete) parking garage project... A step in the wrong direction for our climate targets.

Hopefully this is the last time one of our public institutions does such a massive carbon-intensive (concrete) parking garage project... A step in the wrong direction for our climate targets.

I would have preferred to see the parking nixed completely as well.

It's not as if UT doesn't have restricted/paid lots nearby under its control.

This will have to be maintained, and that will cost $$; and the entrances to the parking (vehicular and pedestrian) will be a blight on an otherwise attractive new landscape.

In all likelihood, the membrane of the parking garage will require renewal in about 30 years; as will the geothermal; at that point, hopefully, it will just be taken out.

Now taking the time to look back are the plans finally...

...if I was UoT head admin, I would be pushing to turn that space into a food court or convention hall. Turning into a parking space for the almighty car seems to be a quaint consideration lacking in imagination these days. To put it mildly.

Now taking the time to look back are the plans finally...

...if I was UoT head admin, I would be pushing to turn that space into a food court or convention hall. Turning into a parking space for the almighty car seems to be a quaint consideration lacking in imagination these days. To put it mildly.
How many students and faculty are on St. George campus on a given day (pre and post-COVID)? 30,000? They ain't all taking public transit and they need a place to park. For whatever reason, people drive. Better to put the "almighty car" underground and out of sight than parked all around Kings College Circle and the rest.

Once this is done, banish cars from the whole campus, for all I care.

Back