I have heard from an engineer involved that the building is sinking (has settled 25mm already) and they’re unable to paint it for fear of additional mass; and are concerned about the bridge connection. No idea if true but this person claimed to know.

I have heard from an engineer involved that the building is sinking (has settled 25mm already) and they’re unable to paint it for fear of additional mass; and are concerned about the bridge connection. No idea if true but this person claimed to know.
Better not load it up with any books...might make the problem worse.

I think that rumour has been debunked a few times over. I don't recall seeing any cracking or evidence of settling.

It's a pretty common college trope (sinking library)

Perhaps there's been a new development, but I doubt it.

Here's one piece on that from 2004:

Aesthetics aside, the main functional flaw in Robarts is that it was meant to be a graduate-student library, and only later it was decided undergrads would also have access.

As a result, the elevator capacity to the stacks floors is severely taxed.

Aesthetics aside, the main functional flaw in Robarts is that it was meant to be a graduate-student library, and only later it was decided undergrads would also have access.

This was a common problem in the 1960s when it was common to have 'graduate' and 'undergraduate' libraries. McGill has the same situation where the McLennan Library (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLennan_Library_Building) was also built as a graduate library (where library staff sent books down to the masses via book elevators). It too has poor elevators for its current (and since about 1970) use by everyone.

Last edited:
I think that rumour has been debunked a few times over. I don't recall seeing any cracking or evidence of settling.

Its a pretty common college trope (sinking library)

Perhaps there's been a new development, but I doubt it.

Here's one piece on that from 2004:

My first impression was that it was a rather elaborate version of the classic "sinking library" rumour. It was quite common back in the day in relation to the original structure.

Reactions: max
February 20, 2022:

IMG_3487.jpg
IMG_3488.jpg
IMG_3489.jpg
IMG_3490.jpg
IMG_3491.jpg
IMG_3492.jpg
IMG_3493.jpg
IMG_3494.jpg
IMG_3495.jpg

I must admit I like the placement of those wood thingies inside....least I think they're are made of wood.

I must admit I like the placement of those wood thingies inside....least I think they're are made of wood.
Interesting. I find them the weakest part of the design, viewed from outside. Totally incongruous with Robarts' restrained geometric repetition. Although I do admit they could be very cool from the inside.

Interesting. I find them the weakest part of the design, viewed from outside. Totally incongruous with Robarts' restrained geometric repetition. Although I do admit they could be very cool from the inside.

I wish they stuck with the equilateral triangle/hexagon motif for this entire complex.

AoD

Can't vouch that me liking something means it's strong design wise. I also like a lot of weird stuff...and that's just weird enough for me to give a mild thumbs up to. 😸

Back