In the discussion above, there is much on which to comment, but lest I end up with 1/2 a dozen posts, let me sum up my thoughts on others thoughts this way:

1) Is there some heritage value in what's there now, if properly restored? Yes. Is there value from a modern research lab point of view? Not so much, the building as is simply can't meet those needs, and a retrofit seems impractical. Meeting that type of need elsewhere on campus is plausible, but choices are limited.

2) Is the building a heritage priority? I have to side with @Towered here and say 'no'. It's simply not a best in class example of its style, nor does it have broad appeal, nor does it have much remaining context supporting it.

3) I'm actually surprised U of T didn't do the zoning for the entire site all at once, they clearly had a complete design vision for the entire site, we've all seen the renders; this would have been more cost-effective to address initially. Equally, if there was a desire to retain heritage here, this entire proposal/building site doesn't jive w/that, and a completely different thought needed to be embarked on from the beginning.

Last edited:
I really hope all this does not cause unnecessary and pointless delays for phase 2 here. As this should of been considered long before they pulled down the first building, IMO.

Today

4FDD6F51-E70D-43A3-B6FC-D96AA2D9A5CF.jpeg

088D4C04-6182-4D89-BD2B-B6F62FDEC22D.jpeg

Can Mr. 42 arrange a tour for us when this is all said and done? Pretty please?

This IMO is a somewhat dated architectural masterpiece. Seems to echo from the mid 20th century with some modern cues. As for institutional buildings in Toronto this one for me is going to rank up near the top.
To me, with the slight embossing on its sloping outer walls, it reminds me a bit of San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid, as though a chunk of it just dropped in.

Back