innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Zoning by-law amendment application to facilitate the development of 5,509 square metres of non-residential retail space located below the Gardiner Expressway.

Sounds interesting.. It will be a good retail amenity for City Place. This looks to be directly to the east of the retail space that was already created underneath the Gardiner as a part of the West Block development.

Interesting to say the least

qs8Sqwd.png

yD8sdAA.png

WXd7nfe.png

I can't say that I'm sold at all.

Adding some animation at-grade, sure.

That bit is fine.

But digging down, here? For that?

That looks to me to suck life away from adjacent streets rather than provide useful new services to the community. But perhaps I'm being unfair.

Oh, and terrible name.

I can't say that I'm sold at all.

Adding some animation at-grade, sure.

That bit is fine.

But digging down, here? For that?

That looks to me to suck life away from adjacent streets rather than provide useful new services to the community. But perhaps I'm being unfair.

Oh, and terrible name.

I don't get the underground food hall/exhibition space at this location either. It's rather strange in fact. Why would anyone go there? Some of your park eviscerations come to mind, lol!

Maybe if it were connected to the PATH...maybe. But it's nowhere near that.

I don't get the underground food hall/exhibition space at this location either. It's rather strange in fact. Why would anyone go there? Some of your park eviscerations come to mind, lol!

I think I'd have these 2 concerns

1) It turns into Aura's basement; an expensive, and unsuccessful venture that just creates, at best, an under-utilized, wasted space, and at worst, somewhere dangerous or abandoned.

2) It's 'successful' but in so doing, sucks any retail life away from the street-level.

To me, (the underground portion) looks like a lose-lose proposition.

I think I'd have these 2 concerns

1) It turns into Aura's basement; an expensive, and unsuccessful venture that just creates, at best, an under-utilized, wasted space, and at worst, somewhere dangerous or abandoned.

2) It's 'successful' but in so doing, sucks any retail life away from the street-level.

To me, (the underground portion) looks like a lose-lose proposition.

Absolutely. The above ground shops probably make sense though since there seems to be a surprising scarcity of retail space among all those towers in City Place.

I think this from the Architectural Plans explains the "why"

1628298164594.png

(Concord/LGA)

Maximizing square footage given limitations of the site. Should try a capsule hotel underground instead.

AoD

I think this is great and definitely have no issue with them digging down and maximizing the use of the site. If it's sparsely used now maybe it'll become more used when Toronto's population is even bigger. And if we're going to be stuck with the Gardiner going through here it's great to have as much of this kind of use as possible IMO. I see the point that this may draw people away from the streets around but IMO the streets around here are pretty bleak and hostile and don't really have the capacity to host these types of uses. So I don't think there's much animation of the streets existing or possible around it to draw away from. And if anything this could possibly create more animation on the surrounding streets by giving people a destination (the foodhall, etc.) to walk there for and to pass all the upper retail which hopefully could help make that retail more viable too.

Also the way the underground is open to the above will I think help integrate the space as well. It might be kinda cool to look down into and see that there's stuff down there to check out and cool to look up as well — when you're down there it wont feel as much like an underground mall basement as a result, but instead maybe kind of an interesting space where you can look way up through the layers and see the highway so far up above. And seeing the pillars supporting the highway down there, I dunno it's pretty cool to me! In like a brutalist grungy way, but I think it could work out.

Last edited:
I mean, sure why not. This is weird and I like that.

This can work but unclear to me why the underground portion wouldn’t be more open to the elements.

I dont mind it other than it being orientated the wrong way.

Should have buildings beside the streets with a path through the middle to continue the bentway like they are claiming.

Back