A couple of things here.

@AHK and @allengeorge are both correct if taking opposite perspectives (how full is the glass).

I will offer that Toronto's explosive growth will create new demand over time, but certainly, baring a major new entry to market, we're not talking the next 3 years. (to even consider moving ahead, which is 6+ years to occupancy).

Further, I will note that proposals are being moved into the process to convert/demolish many class B and C buildings. I just reported that on a large office building at St.Clair and Avenue.
Taking that kind of space out of the market will change the vacancy stats fairly quickly.

There are more such projects in the works, a 1/2 dozen anyway; so expect to see millions of ft2 of office inventory leave.

Also, while some hybrid work arrangements are being made permanent, more work places are imposing 3 day minimums (in office) and some going back to more traditional staffing.

Important to note that the advantage of certain new-build space, of which Union Centre is one, is the very large, open floor plates that older class B and C buildings (and some A buildings too) simply can't offer.
So you will see some migration to quality and older buldings will come offline.

But no, it won't be this year or next, in all liklihood and could be as much as a decade before another major tower comes online. Though don't rule out that it may be sooner.

Final note, perhaps we could rest this thread again. A general discussion of the office market has its place, but really isn't the basis for bumping this old thread with news that isn't project-specific.

Last edited:
so expect to see millions of ft2 of office inventory leave.

I actually find this hard to believe - I'm sure there will be a handful of conversions don't get me wrong - and some demonlishions - but I'm not convinced it's going to be overly cost effective given how the condo market is doing currently - purpose built rentals.

So to clarify, I'm just questioning the "millions of square feet" - some will leave for sure.

I actually find this hard to believe - I'm sure there will be a handful of conversions don't get me wrong - and some demonlishions - but I'm not convinced it's going to be overly cost effective given how the condo market is doing currently - purpose built rentals.

So to clarify, I'm just questioning the "millions of square feet" - some will leave for sure.

Always difficult to say how many projects will actually go ahead.

But this much I can say, counting the ones that are public and the additional ones I'm aware of, the pipeline is way over 1Mft2 currently.

Always difficult to say how many projects will actually go ahead.

But this much I can say, counting the ones that are public and the additional ones I'm aware of, the pipeline is way over 1Mft2 currently.

Oh wow :) Ok I stand corrected - question, are they all conversions and/or demolish and rebuild ? Or are there some cases of demolish and potentially rebuild at a future date, which would be the worst of course.

Oh wow :) Ok I stand corrected - question, are they all conversions and/or demolish and rebuild ? Or are there some cases of demolish and potentially rebuild at a future date, which would be the worst of course.

The majority are renovate/repurpose within existing structure. (see 69 Yonge)

There are also office buildings that are or will be proposed for demolition and replaced with residential where no office replacement will be required. (see 350 Bloor).

Now, how many actually go ahead? TBD. They have to hit the market for sales or lease and see what sticks. Interest rates really need to come off a bit to get more builders back in the game.

... so expect to see millions of ft2 of office inventory leave.

Agreed. The millions of sqft of 90's/00's warehouse/industrial to office conversions are struggling with very high vacancy rates. These buildings tended to target underfunded tech startups, and tech startups needing low cost space are now going wholly remote.

Nearly all of these could be converted yet again to residential loft-like spaces. Not quickly but it took ~15 years for the office conversions.

Last edited:

Just a tiny point-the condominium market is being suppressed by one, and only one factor: high interest rates Thus conversion-ready buildings will become more likely to change use in the near term and not less when rates come down.

Just a tiny point-the condominium market is being suppressed by one, and only one factor: high interest rates Thus conversion-ready buildings will become more likely to change use in the near term and not less when rates come down.

That is certainly the largest factor, but not the only one.

Income stagnation, combined with rising prices both in real estate and in other areas of household expenditure such as food are also factors.

It's a matter of sufficient income, relative to the cost of servicing a purchase.

While I do expect interest rates to subside some, sooner rather than later, I don't anticipate a return to the sub 3% rates of a few years ago anytime soon.

These buildings tended to target underfunded tech startups, and tech startups needing low cost space are now going wholly remote.
Underfunded startups were not using loft office space. They were either subletting from more successful companies or startups - or using standard, cheap office space.

Underfunded startups were not using loft office space. They were either subletting from more successful companies or startups - or using standard, cheap office space.

I certainly can't speak for all of them, but in 2000 those King West buildings near Dufferin were littered with tech startups looking for a database contractors because they couldn't afford it as full time staff. I guess I presumed that was typical; I had little interest in real-estate at the time.

Back