And it would seem that the final report is done:

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-1220.pdf

From it, this comment on the Skywalk passing through it:

6. require the owner, before introducing the necessary Bills to City Council for
enactment, to execute one or more agreements pursuant to the City of Toronto
Act, 1971, S.O. 1971, c. 130, as amended satisfactory to the Chief Planner and
Executive Director, City Planning Division, and the City Solicitor, such
agreement(s) to be registered against the title of the lands for the development to
secure the following facilities, services, and matters:
(a) City’s right to use the pedestrian walkway in perpetuity through the
building(s);
(b) provide and maintain within the site a publicly accessible walkway
(Galleria) connecting the SkyWalk to Front Street West generally as
shown on the Plans prepared by Tampold Architects, dated December 7,
2006, which shall:
(i) remain open and accessible to the public between the hours of 6:00
a.m. to 2:00 a.m., 365 days a year; and
(ii) be satisfactorily illuminated;

-------

...so with the cantilever over 151 Front, with the connection to the SkyWalk, with the bridge over Station Street, with the diagonal designs on the exterior (while significantly toned down since the line drawings of the previous community council report), and the closeness to the centre-of-the-universe of this location in general, I think we're looking at one of the most interesting additions to downtown Toronto in the last couple of decades. Here's hoping they get this one right.

intrigued 42

So from looking at the renderings, this new office building will be built on top of the Skywalk Galleria?

If that is the case, I think that's a fantastic idea! It will really bring life to this depressing corridor.

Louroz

Sometimes a little sleuthing pays off.

Front_Station_model2_Formatted.jpg

those silver panels look opaque. that has the potential to be either really good or really bad. if they execute it well (silver glass spandrels) the building will look mirrored and incredibly clean. if they use grey aluminium panels it will look like a dull slab, and it'll get worse with time as the panels get dented and scratched.

Burgher:

The plan/elevations in the staff report suggested glazed aluminium curtain wall and opaque glass spandrel.

AoD

Hmm- is it me or does it appear sort of libiskindish? I like the atrium feature on the lower west facade. Hopefully the tower will bring a bit more life to the skywalk.

Bog:

Hmm- is it me or does it appear sort of libiskindish?

I believe that has been pointed out on the forum when the preliminary report came out in 2005.

AoD

Great find kman65.

Imagine this tower and the City Centre Tower in the skyline; it would make quite the impression.

Well it's great to see an attempt at a more sculptured design, even if it is a Libeskind knock-off. More potential to be fugly of course, but at least it's not another glass cereal box.

Section 37 Requirments:

(a) a contribution of $1.5 million, prior to the issuance of an above grade building permit for any development, for the following local community improvement initiatives:
(i) $150,000 for the capital improvement of affordable housing in Ward 20;
(ii) exclusive of the frontages of the subject lands, $1,000,000 for streetscaping improvements on Front Street West between University Avenue and Spadina Avenue, Simcoe Street between the railway corridor and Queen Street West including bicycle lanes, and University Avenue between Front Street West and King Street West;
(iii) $350,000 for weather protection and improvements to the four at-grade TCC stairways at St. Andrew subway station;

So just to confirm that i read it right: This tower will be 172 m?

A height like that would definitely make this super slick tower even slicker 8)

Yeh it's a respectable height for skyscraper afficionados. I like the initiatives in section 37. Certainly the affordable housing, but also the aesthetic improvements to Front St. I've always thought that little unkept triangle of grass at the foot of University Ave was prime opportunity for a mini parkette with sculpture.

That rendering looks more like the old design. The current elevations in the report have lost the “zig zag†lines.

Why not just get rid of the existing brick building? Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Back