Wasn't the original rumour that Amazon was going to be the lead tenant for 11 Bay?

Yes I also heard 11 Bay (also QuadReal) was being eyed by Amazon. The amazing podium terraces have big potential for employee amenities but maybe the waterfront location could be a bit too far from Union Station? (see quote below). Maybe Union Centre's proximity/connections to Union Station are strong selling point.

"QuadReal is also seeking or has obtained BOMA Platinum, a Fitwel three-star rating and 99 in Walkscore. The front door is 180 metres from Union Station."

Wasn't the original rumour that Amazon was going to be the lead tenant for 11 Bay?

Quadreal and Amazon......get along well, often, in other Cities too.

One other developer has had discussions w/Amazon (to my understanding)......that developer is not Oxford.

But I don't have any good sources at Oxford, LOL............so ya never know.

But I don't have any good sources at Oxford, LOL............so ya never know.
Sorry for this tangent. Please scan and then return to your regularly scheduled viewing.

It’s been 5 years since EY Tower was completed, and since then (Covid and WFH issues duly acknowledged), Oxford’s mega-projects in the GTA seem stuck in pre-construction mud (Union Park, The Hub etc. ). And two and a half years after the launch the first couple of builds for the massive Square One District are still below grade (seem to be progressing at a snail’s pace... Mizrahi pace?).

And so much stuff in the 10-20 year “pipeline” (2180 Yonge, Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre). But what have you done for me lately?

Speaking of “pipelines” are they just out of ga$ from spending all their time in New York? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for this tangent. Please scan and then return to your regularly scheduled viewing.

It’s been 5 years since EY Tower was completed, and since then (Covid and WFH issues duly acknowledged), Oxford’s mega-projects in the GTA seem stuck in pre-construction mud (Union Park, The Hub etc. ). And two and a half years after the launch the first couple of builds for the massive Square One District are still below grade (seem to be progressing at a snail’s pace... Mizrahi pace?).

And so much stuff in the 10-20 year “pipeline” (2180 Yonge, Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre). But what have you done for me lately?

Speaking of “pipelines” are they just out of ga$ from spending all their time in New York? Inquiring minds want to know.
Idk, Oxford is moving at a reasonable pace in Mississauga as far as I'm concerned and last I checked union park is still going through the approvals process so not exactly in Oxfords control. Same with Canada Square. As for The Hub, we're in an unprecedented economic climate so... suffice to say I'm not really reading too much into Oxford’s recent progress or lack thereof. Doesn't seem like there's too much to infer at this point.

Idk, Oxford is moving at a reasonable pace in Mississauga as far as I'm concerned and last I checked union park is still going through the approvals process so not exactly in Oxfords control. Same with Canada Square. As for The Hub, we're in an unprecedented economic climate so... suffice to say I'm not really reading too much into Oxford’s recent progress or lack thereof. Doesn't seem like there's too much to infer at this point.
union park was actually recently approved.

Yes I also heard 11 Bay (also QuadReal) was being eyed by Amazon. The amazing podium terraces have big potential for employee amenities but maybe the waterfront location could be a bit too far from Union Station? (see quote below). Maybe Union Centre's proximity/connections to Union Station are strong selling point.

"QuadReal is also seeking or has obtained BOMA Platinum, a Fitwel three-star rating and 99 in Walkscore. The front door is 180 metres from Union Station."
To be fair to 11 Bay, it's going to have a direct connection to Queens Quay streetcar station, so while not quite as convenient as being directly connected to Union, it's still going to have very good transit access.

I thought these new views of the project from Adamson were worth a thread bump (while we wait ;-)..

All images and words are from Adamson Associates Architects

Some words: I learned a few things including plans for a live performance venue
"A 52-storey tower with 37 storeys of office space, three storeys of retail/service commercial uses, a live performance and presentation venue, and support functions including a grand main lobby, amenities, and mechanical space. Parking, servicing, and loading is located below grade. The building’s primary function is to provide high-end, flexible and future-proof office space that draws from its adjacency to the data centre as well as its immediate connections to public transportation.

The tower also provides three storeys of space for the planned expansion of the existing data centre at 151 Front Street West and provides an additional five storeys as flexible office space which can also be converted for potential further expansion of the data centre in the future. The live venue will be a major attraction for entertainment and corporate/conference users and will further animate the site. The venue will have a capacity of 2,000 people and a gross floor area of 5,400 m².

Green walls cover the lower levels facing south, while the top of the tower is terraced, providing planted outdoor amenities and a green roof.

Skyline context
UC-context-skyline.jpg

The crown (steps are not as steep as earlier renderings... but 298m + that tree = supertall ;-)
UC-crown.jpg

Green wall
UC-greenwall.jpg

UC-tracks-green.jpg

Is this a colonnade (or building over-hang)?
UC-colonnade?.jpg

Interior
UC-lobby.jpg

At grade
UC-at-grade.jpg

Last edited:
I thought these new views of the project from Adamson were worth a thread bump (while we wait ;-)..

All images and words are from Adamson Associates Architects

Some words: I learned a few things including plans for a live performance venue
"A 52-storey tower with 37 storeys of office space, three storeys of retail/service commercial uses, a live performance and presentation venue, and support functions including a grand main lobby, amenities, and mechanical space. Parking, servicing, and loading is located below grade. The building’s primary function is to provide high-end, flexible and future-proof office space that draws from its adjacency to the data centre as well as its immediate connections to public transportation.

The tower also provides three storeys of space for the planned expansion of the existing data centre at 151 Front Street West and provides an additional five storeys as flexible office space which can also be converted for potential further expansion of the data centre in the future. The live venue will be a major attraction for entertainment and corporate/conference users and will further animate the site. The venue will have a capacity of 2,000 people and a gross floor area of 5,400 m².

Green walls cover the lower levels facing south, while the top of the tower is terraced, providing planted outdoor amenities and a green roof.

Skyline context
View attachment 416584

The crown (steps are not as steep as earlier renderings... but 298m + that tree = supertall ;-)
View attachment 416585
Green wall
View attachment 416586
View attachment 416587

Is this a colonnade (or building over-hang)?
View attachment 416588
Interior
View attachment 416589

At grade
View attachment 416590
I think the CTBUH can make an exception and have this singular tree qualify as an "architectural spire" for official supertall status. Can't wait to see this one get off the ground, I've watched The Spiral grow in NYC over the past 3 years and the cladding/gardens look great on it!

I think the CTBUH can make an exception and have this singular tree qualify as an "architectural spire" for official supertall status. Can't wait to see this one get off the ground, I've watched The Spiral grow in NYC over the past 3 years and the cladding/gardens look great on it!
I've hatched a plan that will sail through the "architectural feature" criteria to win CTBUH supertall hardware 🏆:

@Northern Light will design a metal trellis or arbour that will be 2.1 metres above the crown's tallest point.

There will be a variety of all season green climbers (ivy etc.), but the star of the show will be a massive Wisteria (once established, wisteria becomes nearly indestructible to cold, wind etc. ... like 300 metres in the air ;-). :).

Below, this X 50. Fuchsias, purples and whites all summer long.
fd22241wh.jpg

Link

I like that they have broken down the massing on Front Street. Their initial concept didn't make any sense, really with a 25-wide elevator core. I was also always bothered by the fact that they showed these massive glass lifts.
The elevator core needs to be fire-rated, so unless they were going to do all doors, and walls in fire glass, it would have looked nothing like what they showed.

union park was actually recently approved.
Yes, and it seems the city offered the developer a bonus of 2 additional metres to allow for it to be an official Super Tall if the developer likes. I'm kind of wondering if someone, somewhere, was being trolled by city council, lol. In any case, it'll be interesting to see if the developer takes advantage of the bonus offer!
😀

Back