Is there a reason they can't build the overbuild more level with the Blue Jays Way bridge, the Rogers Centre overhang, and the Rod Robbie pedestrian bridge? In two of the pictures Northern Light posted above, all sides of the new overbuild have big elevation changes relative to the other paths:
1615778669238.png

All the current bridges/overhangs look to be relatively the same height, so it cant be a track clearance problem:
screencapture-google-ca-maps-43-6430709-79-3882924-3a-75y-225-37h-90-84t-data-3m6-1e1-3m4-1s96...png

https://goo.gl/maps/x9AE3nqkqo3eC71D9

Hi Folks, I am bit of an amateur to this forum. I had a question that I had a hard time answering. My question was where would the buildings base end?I have drawn a blue line in the attached pic and was just wondering if it would be where the blue line is or more closer to the railway tracks and if closer how much closer? Basically I am just trying to determine if my view will become a bit obstructed from 373 Front St W. I really appreciate your folks help and advice.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 12.00.13 AM.png
me answering

Is there a reason they can't build the overbuild more level with the Blue Jays Way bridge, the Rogers Centre overhang, and the Rod Robbie pedestrian bridge? In two of the pictures Northern Light posted above, all sides of the new overbuild have big elevation changes relative to the other paths.

I haven't taken the time yet to look at the detailed elevation drawings.

But this photo of Blue Jays way will illustrate the problem.

1615781844503.png

Note that there are stairs now, up from Blue Jays way to the space beside Rogers Centre.

Also note that Blue Jays Way is continuously climbing to reach that height.

The bridge over the tracks is not level, it's on an angle.

This view from Spadina bridge shows that angle on the Blue Jays Way bridge:

1615782055864.png

Looking at the other side, the elevation differences as they exist today in terms of land height are also apparent:

1615782255953.png

Notice the change in elevation of the space beside the Dome, when looking from the bridge:

1615782366030.png

It's a challenging spot in terms of creating a unified level; and a pleasant grade.

Hi Folks, I am bit of an amateur to this forum. I had a question that I had a hard time answering. My question was where would the buildings base end?I have drawn a blue line in the attached pic and was just wondering if it would be where the blue line is or more closer to the railway tracks and if closer how much closer? Basically I am just trying to determine if my view will become a bit obstructed from 373 Front St W. I really appreciate your folks help and advice.

View attachment 305886me answering

I believe you would find this drawing from the Architecture Plans helpful:

1615783102405.png

I believe you would find this drawing from the Architecture Plans helpful:

View attachment 305892
Thanks for sharing that. To be honest with you I am still a bit confused. Bit of a noob. In relation to the map I uploaded would you be able to share with me where abouts the tower construction will go till in relevance to the blue line? Would you say where the blue line is or a bit behind or infront of it?

Thanks for sharing that. To be honest with you I am still a bit confused. Bit of a noob. In relation to the map I uploaded would you be able to share with me where abouts the tower construction will go till in relevance to the blue line? Would you say where the blue line is or a bit behind or infront of it?

The picture I posted above has the measurements in it. The numbers you see are in millimetres.

You'll see the numbers vary along the rear of the property.

At the closest point, the building podium appears to abut the rear property line (immediately adjacent to (above) the tracks).

At its furthest point, it would be a bit over 9M set-back.

For comparison, the parking behind the building is ~17M.

So the building will vary in its distance from in/around the middle of the parking, to the far rear of the property.

The temporary egress would be partially cantilevered over the rail corridor.

The picture I posted above has the measurements in it. The numbers you see are in millimetres.

You'll see the numbers vary along the rear of the property.

At the closest point, the building podium appears to abut the rear property line (immediately adjacent to (above) the tracks).

At its furthest point, it would be a bit over 9M set-back.

For comparison, the parking behind the building is ~17M.

So the building will vary in its distance from in/around the middle of the parking, to the far rear of the property.

The temporary egress would be partially cantilevered over the rail corridor.
Seems like there is a strong possibility of my view of the CN Tower will be blocked.

@toronto647 , it's not looking great for our view of the CN Tower from 373 Front St W

View attachment 305998
People like you on this forum I really appreciate sharing your skills. Although not the best news lol but appreciate your rendering and time. I am bit left of your originating line on the 373 building however that will make marginal difference tbh. Rogers Centre will soon be demolished and rebuilt with condos/skyscrapers surrounding it. So sooner or later was going to lose the view.

Any idea when this building will even go up? (RT01-T04)? I would have at least another 5 years I hope?

I've been looking for this exact render for a while to figure out how it'd impact my view. I finally found it in the batch of submissions that were just recently shared here.

Based on opinions in this forum, it doesn't seem like this project will get going for quite a while. I'm selfishly hoping that there's some revisions to the South-Western tower before they start.

I am looking forward to the overbuild though; at least as a proof of concept for Rail Deck Park. And all the Rogers Centre stuff is still just speculation at this point.

Regardless, the neighbourhood is going to be quite a bit different in a decade or so. Maybe it's time to be on the lookout for some of the pre-construction sales to be able to keep the awesome view of the CN Tower.

I've been looking for this exact render for a while to figure out how it'd impact my view. I finally found it in the batch of submissions that were just recently shared here.

Based on opinions in this forum, it doesn't seem like this project will get going for quite a while. I'm selfishly hoping that there's some revisions to the South-Western tower before they start.

I am looking forward to the overbuild though; at least as a proof of concept for Rail Deck Park. And all the Rogers Centre stuff is still just speculation at this point.

Regardless, the neighbourhood is going to be quite a bit different in a decade or so. Maybe it's time to be on the lookout for some of the pre-construction sales to be able to keep the awesome view of the CN Tower.

To get that view of the CN Tower / Rogers Centre I am sure the minimum would be $1500 p/sqf (astronomical). Keeping my fingers crossed for the south western side of the project moving a bit north from the rail tracks but I guess time will tell. Who knows where we will be in 5+ years.

I just want to say how much I appreciate the way both @toronto647 and @Adam Wisniewski approached this conversation in this thread.

I'll often see someone who's a new commenter hop on just to complain about a development because they'll lose their view. To see people actually ask questions, engage and understand that things can change. As well as recognize that this is an excellent development for this location, even though losing your view sucks.

I just really appreciate that maturity, and lack of obvious nimbyism and complaining. It's definitely refreshing and I hope some changes can be made so you guys can keep some of your view!

It's always worth emailing the developer as this is definitely still a ways out.

I just want to say how much I appreciate the way both @toronto647 and @Adam Wisniewski approached this conversation in this thread.

I'll often see someone who's a new commenter hop on just to complain about a development because they'll lose their view. To see people actually ask questions, engage and understand that things can change. As well as recognize that this is an excellent development for this location, even though losing your view sucks.

I just really appreciate that maturity, and lack of obvious nimbyism and complaining. It's definitely refreshing and I hope some changes can be made so you guys can keep some of your view!

It's always worth emailing the developer as this is definitely still a ways out.

Thanks for your note. Yes I am a relatively new user and happy to engage with others on this forum. Yes I may lose the view however have a house on Don Mills & Eglinton where Eglinton LRT is coming up and perhaps as a bonus Ontario Line. Once the view starts to get disrupted I will move back there and rent this place out. I guess there's two kind of people and I would say looking at the cup half full is key. Such as yes the view will be gone but with skyscraper office towers coming right beside will boost rental demand and prices significantly. Kind off topic but ppl keep complaining about building above grade near by my house for the Ontario Line and I just don't get it! Who cares at least something is being built and will benefit the city as a whole. (Also my house value will go up a shit ton excuse my language) You just cant start digging everything underground (ideally that would be great but financially may not make sense). This nimbysim (first time I have heard this word had to google it lol) needs to stop!

You win some you lose some haha. Appreciated your comment @Bjays92

This nimbysim (first time I have heard this word had to google it lol) needs to stop!

What would your perspective be if your property was needed for the aforementioned infrastructure (or had high density going up next to it)? It's easy to disparage nimbyism, but I wonder how people would react if the shoe was on the other foot.

What would your perspective be if your property was needed for the aforementioned infrastructure (or had high density going up next to it)? It's easy to disparage nimbyism, but I wonder how people would react if the shoe was on the other foot.
I would happily hire a lawyer and overcharge metrolinx for my property (Metrolinx will settle the case rather than take it to court - makes the most business sense). Once the property is sold I would buy a bigger property or similar sized one in the same vicinity. If I were to go with a smaller sized one I would invest the difference and start compounding the profit for my future generations.

I know one individual who sold his land got almost double the worth of it after hiring a lawyer and bought a house on the street over and used the profits to day trade and retired lol.

Back