I would happily hire a lawyer and overcharge metrolinx for my property (Metrolinx will settle the case rather than take it to court - makes the most business sense). Once the property is sold I would buy a bigger property or similar sized one in the same vicinity. If I were to go with a smaller sized one I would invest the difference and start compounding the profit for my future generations.

I know one individual who sold his land got almost double the worth of it after hiring a lawyer and bought a house on the street over and used the profits to day trade and retired lol.

Sounds very nimby! ;)

Sounds very nimby! ;)
Haha Nimby according to Google means "a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or hazardous in the area where they live, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere." I am raising no objections what so ever and would be more than happy with the Ontario Line being above grade in my area or even take my property up. Similarly same with Union Park if it blocks my million dollar condo view I am okay with that and will look at the cup half full as I proved in my previous messages. I am more than happy with developments that bring in individuals or workers into the area. Being an immigrant in this country that took me with open arms that is the least I could do.

^Yeah, I understand. I was being facetious. But there's still the element of self interest. Perhaps nimbys take it too far; but there's also way too much holier than thou urbanism going on. It's just naive when urbanists and other idealists expect people to abandon their self interest. Ignoring this reality or slinging insults makes it even harder to build the density and infrastructure we need. Poisons the well, so to speak. I suppose we can get back on topic and apologies for the tangent.

Last edited:
^Yeah, I understand. I was being facetious. But there's still the element of self interest. Perhaps nimbys take it too far; but there's also way too much holier than thou urbanism going on. It's just naive when urbanists and other idealists expect people to abandon their self interest. Ignoring this reality or slinging insults makes it even harder to build the density and infrastructure we need. Poisons the well, so to speak. I suppose we can get back off topic and apologies for the tangent.
Appreciated the civil dialogue. I feel like we need more of these conversations from real everyday people as opposed to Metrolinx or Developers unilaterally pushing things through. 👍

Is there a reason they can't build the overbuild more level with the Blue Jays Way bridge, the Rogers Centre overhang, and the Rod Robbie pedestrian bridge? In two of the pictures Northern Light posted above, all sides of the new overbuild have big elevation changes relative to the other paths:
View attachment 305881

All the current bridges/overhangs look to be relatively the same height, so it cant be a track clearance problem:
View attachment 305880
https://goo.gl/maps/x9AE3nqkqo3eC71D9

There is!

There is no place to drop columns on the tracks because of the switch gear - so the trusses need to be super deep to accommodate the loads of a public park. The bridge uses a suspension which is OK for a bridge, but not a 100M-wide overbuild. Also, the electrification requires 8M clear above the tracks, and the Rob Robbie bridge is actually a problem for the future.

People like you on this forum I really appreciate sharing your skills. Although not the best news lol but appreciate your rendering and time. I am bit left of your originating line on the 373 building however that will make marginal difference tbh. Rogers Centre will soon be demolished and rebuilt with condos/skyscrapers surrounding it. So sooner or later was going to lose the view.

Any idea when this building will even go up? (RT01-T04)? I would have at least another 5 years I hope?

I wouldn't worry to much about your view. If these go up, it will be 5-7 years from now. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

The Rogers Centre couldn't be demolished soon enough AFAIC. I still don't understand how they would they could build a new stadium in that area. The only space I see is Roundhouse Park and I doubt that part of the land they lease from Canada Lands Holding or whatever the hell it's called.

There is!

There is no place to drop columns on the tracks because of the switch gear - so the trusses need to be super deep to accommodate the loads of a public park. The bridge uses a suspension which is OK for a bridge, but not a 100M-wide overbuild. Also, the electrification requires 8M clear above the tracks, and the Rob Robbie bridge is actually a problem for the future.
considering metrolinx already determined solutions for electrification with the low roof area at union station, I doubt it's going to be a problem

Found these on the OJB site after finding out they're are also working on East Harbour

ojb-union-park-01.jpg

ojb-union-park-02.jpg

ojb-union-park-03.jpg

ojb-union-park-04.jpg

jeez Oxford and Pelli look like a combo of Canderel and G&C. what a shame and is that Spanderel on a Office building? WTH Oxford.

EDIT:
went from 100 to 0.
View attachment 333441

View attachment 333442
Hudson Yards, but somehow make it even more boring and sterile and soulless.

Arguably the same issues we're seeing with the Canada Square proposal as well.

Oxford are not doing well as of late in terms of designs on what should be 'signature' projects.

Back