All of the renderings show three buildings, but it mentions the project is four buildings. Are there renders that we haven't seen yet?

There's a building hidden in that looking north rendering

UP.jpg

There's a building hidden in that looking north rendering

View attachment 415965

The renderings aren't accurate in my mind. Of the 3 taller towers, the the tallest one on the east side is supposed to be 303.26, while the one on the west side is supposed be 210.30. The renderings make them seem much closer in height. Just my opinion.

Excuse my ignorance, but at the last DRP meeting was it not recommended for a redesign of the massing in relation to the CN Tower? I know the DRP can only give recommendations, so was it just ignored and the developer will go ahead with this design?

Excuse my ignorance, but at the last DRP meeting was it not recommended for a redesign of the massing in relation to the CN Tower? I know the DRP can only give recommendations, so was it just ignored and the developer will go ahead with this design?
You are right that the DRP is advisory but their advice is taken seriously. I have no doubt there will be changes made before any permits are issued - and then that we will see the usual 'value engineering' (aka 'cheapening')

Maybe we should wait a beat before throwing the usual "cheapening" cheapshot at this one. I'd guess-timate at least 90% of the Y-E'd towers we slag are residential/mixed use projects.

This project has 2 residential towers (which could be candidates for the V-Eing), but 2 office towers. We presently have 2 major office towers u/c, both of which are looking pretty damn exciting to me: a) 160 Front W and b) CIBC Square 2 (which is bound to be as stunning as the newly-minted phase 1).

I even think the little jewel box called 100 Queens Quay is a lovely addition to the waterfront. One of the best boxes in the city. Certainly photogenic.

Who knows when the Union Park office towers will actually begin (for all the usual reasons) but I think Oxford is overdue to build something downtown that we will be quite happy with.

What can I say, I'm an optimist before lunch.

Last edited:
Maybe we should wait a beat before throwing the usual "cheapening" cheapshot at this one. I'd guess-timate at least 90% of the Y-E'd towers we slag are residential/mixed use projects.

This project has 2 residential towers (which could be candidates for the V-Eing), but 2 office towers. We presently have 2 major office towers u/c, both of which are looking pretty damn exciting to me: a) 160 Front W and b) CIBC Square 2 (which is bound to be as stunning as the newly-minted phase 1).

I even think the little jewel box called 100 Queens Quay is a lovely addition to the waterfront. One of the best boxes in the city. Certainly photogenic.

Who knows when the Union Park office towers will actually begin (for all the usual reasons) but I think Oxford is overdue to build something downtown that we will quite happy with.

What can I say, I'm an optimist before lunch.
I certainly hope you are right but (unfortunately) cheapening is far more common than one would like and with the worsening or slowing economy is likely to become more widespread as developers try to maximise their profits.

I certainly hope you are right but (unfortunately) cheapening is far more common than one would like and with the worsening or slowing economy is likely to become more widespread as developers try to maximise their profits.
I'm not a trained therapist but I have noted an increase in forecasting "the cheapening", particularly among folks who live within a few block radius of Time & Space. I think the phenomenon could be a low-grade PTSD-like mood issue that requires proven coping strategies like "avert your eyes". 🤪

Council didn't meet today.........

The meeting wrapped on Friday.

But yes, this was approved.

Also...........if you want a synopsis of what Council approved:

In this thread, the June update mentions park over the railway. The UT synopsis mentions the approval went ahead with money set aside for parkland with no mention of the park over the railway.

Are both happening (park over railway + $ for parkland) or have things changed with the park over railway?

Which of the 4 buildings will they be starting first? Phases?
From the report recommending approval: "The development is proposed to be constructed in two phases. Phase 1 includes the construction of the two residential buildings on the west portion the site, as well as the west office tower."

So the super-tall and winter-garden come last. I believe the overbuild park sections (if it really happens ;-) will be constructed in matching phases.

Some images from the report ("looks good to me Oxford... can you hear me now? Hello? Damn Rogers phone.."):

North elevation
UPark-north.jpg

South Elevation
UPark-south.jpg

3D in context
3D-incontext.jpg

NOTE re: database page - office and residential tower heights
As Northern Light mentioned, the east (super-tall) office tower is listed as 60 storeys/303 metres (small change from the database heights in metres)
*Also the west office tower is now listed as 50 storeys/262metres (small change from the database heights in metres)
south residential tower decreased from 54 to 52 storeys/192 metres
north residential tower increased from 44 to 50 storeys/186 metres

Last edited:
Based on the newly released tower numbers it looks like they plan on building the two residential towers first, then the shorter office tower, then the supertall
As posted above: "The development is proposed to be constructed in two phases. Phase 1 includes the construction of the two residential buildings on the west portion the site, as well as the west office tower."

"The development is proposed to be constructed in two phases. Phase 1 includes the construction of the two residential buildings on the west portion the site, as well as the west office tower."

ok. this has been discussed but will the west office tower constructed on Spec? or they are going to try and find tenants for it during the recession thats coming up?

Back