I don't understand how these signals work but I find it surprising UPX shuts down for signal issues but I can take Kitchener GO on the same line instead.
I don't get this, either. They operate on mostly the same track, so how can GO continue to operate?

I give them kudos for upping their crisis communications, though.

I don't get this, either. They operate on mostly the same track, so how can GO continue to operate?

I give them kudos for upping their crisis communications, though.
We shall find out...maybe? But maybe the signal issue was between Weston and Pearson after the GO and UP corridors diverge from each other?

We shall find out...maybe? But maybe the signal issue was between Weston and Pearson after the GO and UP corridors diverge from each other?
Perhaps, but I don't have much faith in finding out directly from UPX - transparency is not their strong suit.

Hopefully someone here has some intel.

Perhaps, but I don't have much faith in finding out directly from UPX - transparency is not their strong suit.

Hopefully someone here has some intel.

There was a switch problem, it impacted UP not GO and is now fixed. I was just offering a suggestion as to why it might have impacted one and not the other.

That said, it is not clear to me why we need to know every little detail.....they could have issued the fairly standard GO explanation "train X is delayed Y minutes due to operational issues" ;)

It was a significant enough issue that the papers are covering it so I don't think we are just unnecessarily looking "for every little detail". As a commuter I am used to having to deal with delays, whether they be TTC, GO or UPX. But for travelling to the airport such delays can become a major issue and I would have thought UPX would be relatively free from things like signal delays given the brand new infrastructure on the line. As noted in my previous post, I don't know a thing about signals, but if you can't count on UPX about 99% of the time then I will be reluctant to rely on it for the airport. This is the 3rd major delay I have encountered on UPX in last few months.

It was a significant enough issue that the papers are covering it so I don't think we are just unnecessarily looking "for every little detail". As a commuter I am used to having to deal with delays, whether they be TTC, GO or UPX. But for travelling to the airport such delays can become a major issue and I would have thought UPX would be relatively free from things like signal delays given the brand new infrastructure on the line. As noted in my previous post, I don't know a thing about signals, but if you can't count on UPX about 99% of the time then I will be reluctant to rely on it for the airport. This is the 3rd major delay I have encountered on UPX in last few months.
They have told us the issue...two separate switches failed independently and trapped two trains ....if the switches are unreliable or if other elements of the operation are unreliable and that leads to an unreliable system then you are right the public will lose faith and not use it. "every little detail" though (to me) is things like "which switches"...."how'd they break"..."why did it not impact GO"...that sort of thing.

Just not sure why we need to know more....but that might just be me.

Simple.

Only the UPX trains can operate on the viaduct to the Airport, and to physically impose a restriction on other equipment from operating on it there are special sensors at the advance signals leading into the control point at Wice (where the Pearson Sub branches off of the Weston Sub) that detect equipment that is only on the UPX cars. The signalling system will not* allow equipment to be lined onto the viaduct unless these sensors have detected the equipment on the UPX trains.

And as I understand it, today was the first time that these sensors failed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

*it's not entirely true that the system will not allow movements onto the Pearson Sub. It can be done, but there are a good number of steps required to allow this to happen, and it takes some time for everything to clear before the green can be displayed.

They have told us the issue...two separate switches failed independently and trapped two trains ....if the switches are unreliable or if other elements of the operation are unreliable and that leads to an unreliable system then you are right the public will lose faith and not use it. "every little detail" though (to me) is things like "which switches"...."how'd they break"..."why did it not impact GO"...that sort of thing.

Just not sure why we need to know more....but that might just be me.

A. They hadn't told us when I raised the query, just after I boarded GO due to UPX suspended service; B. Wasn't even suggesting UPX should have to tell us, just noted that I didn't understand the issue, on p. 541 of a thread dedicated to every piece of minutiae about this service. And smallspy provided a very informative answer.

I wonder if UPX reimburses passengers if they miss a flight due to an at fault problem.
Definitely not, however, most airlines have a "flat tire rule" which means if you show up at the airport up to two hours after your flight's departure time, they'll book you on another flight at no charge.

Yeah but clearly UPX have no plans to deal with stuck passengers in place (those who haven't boarded yet at least have the option of making alternate arrangements). All the hooting about how it's standing room only don't matter if you fail at the job you are supposed to do - i.e. deliver time-critical passengers to their destination.

Seriously, the constant signal issues is getting to be bit of a joke. Can Toronto area transit authorities do *anything* on time with a high degree of reliability?

AoD

Last edited:
Yeah but clearly UPX have no plans to deal with stuck passengers in place (those who haven't boarded yet at least have the option of making alternate arrangements). All the hooting about how it's standing room only don't matter if you fail at the job you are supposed to do - i.e. deliver time-critical passengers to their destination.

Seriously, the constant signal issues is getting to be bit of a joke. Can Toronto area transit authorities do *anything* on time with a high degree of reliability?

AoD

Is it constant? Their media spokesperson does not indicate it that way....this is how she ended a conversation with someone last night

upload_2016-4-12_10-40-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-12_10-40-13.png
    upload_2016-4-12_10-40-13.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 621
Is it constant? Their media spokesperson does not indicate it that way....this is how she ended a conversation with someone last night

Yes, someone should ask her how that measure comes about - 1. definition of "on time" and 2. straight up % of train trips affected is a a little different from % of riders affected. It's like TTC coming up with glorious, 90+% on time stats with loose rules.

AoD

Back