I remember when this setup started when they merged the UPX and GO fares. I was under the impression that it was temporary until the reprogrammed the readers. Anyone heard otherwise? I wonder what the holdup is (and yes, I do realize it's Presto, but still, it's been a while).
I don't think they ever bothered with it. I usually tell pole that if they are using it between the go train stations to tap on the go reader and use the UPX one if you are going to the airport.

but at least it has storefronts (well, doctors & dentists) that would become attractive real estate if the area improved.
Structurally, that whole building could do with a new facade, not least to visually tie the tower to the storefronts at ground floor. Inevitably that will have to happen as the real-estate improves drastically at that intersection.
I remember when this setup started when they merged the UPX and GO fares. I was under the impression that it was temporary until the reprogrammed the readers. Anyone heard otherwise? I wonder what the holdup is (and yes, I do realize it's Presto, but still, it's been a while).
I'd really like to see Metrolinx' explanation on that. It *must* be more costly to run two separate systems, so why do it? Kafka would be impressed. The only possible logic is that the stretch from Weston to the Airport is not computed by distance, but surely that could be programmed into the algorithms?
“We hope that construction would start by next summer or next fall,” said Troughton. “It is quite an undertaking — it’s very shallow underneath the 401.
Nope, but close by.
It was worth a shot! I know a Fred from my living on Prince Rupert a decade back. It's bizarre how the corner of Dundas and Bloor is blight manifest, and yet one block away it's wonderful neighbourhood.

My guess for the two different readers is this:

Let's say you tap on at Bloor, but forget to tap off. Should you be charged for the complete trip to Union Station, Pearson, or Kitchener?

My guess for the two different readers is this:

Let's say you tap on at Bloor, but forget to tap off. Should you be charged for the complete trip to Union Station, Pearson, or Kitchener?

When they add an east end entrance to the Dundas West Station (via Crossways) with its own PRESTO machines, I can see people mixing up THREE machines (GO, UPX, TTC). Especially when the TTC and GO are green, okay at least UPX is grey.

I don't think they ever bothered with it. I usually tell pole that if they are using it between the go train stations to tap on the go reader and use the UPX one if you are going to the airport.
That is good advice.....it is also the same advice that appears on the signs by the actual machines ;)

When they add an east end entrance to the Dundas West Station (via Crossways) with its own PRESTO machines, I can see people mixing up THREE machines (GO, UPX, TTC). Especially when the TTC and GO are green, okay at least UPX is grey.

Why can they not have one machine?

Especially when the TTC and GO are green, okay at least UPX is grey.
I doubt there will be a problem with the TTC one as it will be through the new fare gates to get in. They probably won't have any other redder until you are at the actually at the station itself anyway.

"The technology is not there yet"

But as always, the solution is fare integration.

I have always thought that it would be great that the higher order the transit, the more you pay. For example, bus would be cheaper, and GO train is more expensive. There is no reason one system could not be used to recognize that.

from the star:

Dundas West TTC station to finally be connected to Union Pearson Express station
Metrolinx is expropriating land so that the Dundas West subway station will be connected to the Bloor UP Express and GO Transit station 270 metres away.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...nnected-to-union-pearson-express-station.html

By ROBERT BENZIE Queen's Park Bureau Chief
Thu., Sept. 21, 2017

The riddle of the missing link has finally been solved.

Metrolinx is expropriating land so that the Dundas West subway station will be connected to the Bloor UP Express and GO Transit station, located 270 metres away, through an underground pedestrian tunnel.

It’s a $23 million plan that should help bewildered travelers who are often seen wandering around the Dundas and Bloor intersection looking for either the TTC station or the Union-Pearson hub.

“Negotiations were complex with multiple stakeholders so it took much longer than we hope, but we’re excited to finally move forward,” Metrolinx’s Anne Marie Aikins said Thursday.

“Seamless convenient connections between GO, UP and the TTC are really important to customers,” said Aikins, noting UP ridership is rising and is now more than 300,000 per month.

“We’ve been negotiating with the property owners on the Crossways (residential and commercial) property for the past four years as we need access to some of the property in the underground parking lot to make the connection,” she said.

“There will be no impact on residents living in the Crossways,” said Aikins, referring to the rental apartment buildings at 2340 Dundas St. West.

“Our goal is to have control of the property interest by summer 2018. Once the property has been acquired, the design will go through public consultation,” she said, noting the $23 million tab includes the cost of the land, property, design, and construction of the link.

A date for its opening will be set after the expropriation process is completed.

The lack of a weather-protected connection between the TTC station at the northwest corner of Dundas West and Bloor and the UP/GO station has baffled users since the airport express rail line opened in 2015.

Currently, a small sign directs wayward travelers from the subway station onto Dundas – where they must steer their suitcases across streetcar tracks – forcing them to wheel their luggage more than a quarter kilometre east on Bloor.

Gaining access through the parking garage beneath the Crossways complex will make for a better transit experience, said Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca.

“It’s very positive news. I know there’s a great deal of demand in the west end of Toronto to see that physical connection that had long been promised now one step closer to being delivered,” said Del Duca.

“It’s all part and parcel of the broader plan to build a seamless and integrated transit network right around the region.”

Last edited:
They’ve been negotiating for the last 4 years? This has been discussed/planned/promised since the mid 80s (at least) what were they doing for the ~25 years prior to the last 4 years?

Finally tried this. A good connection, all things considered.

A little surprising they didn't integrate Dundas West Station and the UP Station in the first place.

They’ve been negotiating for the last 4 years? This has been discussed/planned/promised since the mid 80s (at least) what were they doing for the ~25 years prior to the last 4 years?

I read somewhere that the owners of the complex changed a couple years back, so that might be the reason for the sudden movement on a previously dead project. Not sure if it's true though.

Finally tried this. A good connection, all things considered.

A little surprising they didn't integrate Dundas West Station and the UP Station in the first place.
The integration has been planned since day 1. Enabling works were constructed in 1974 when GO opened Bloor station, but no one would cough up the money to finish.

Back