If, for some unfathomable reason, Cinnabon doesn't return to Union, they should at least pump the smell of cinnamon throughout the entire Bay concourse, purely for my own nostalgia.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, give the Danish Pastry House a try, they have a Nordic Cinnamon Bun that I think is absolutely great, the pastry is delectable.

There is less icing than Cinnabon......but I can't say I miss it.

Last edited:
In the meantime, if you haven't already, give the Danish Pastry House a try, they have a Nordic Cinnamon Bun that I think is absolutely great, the pastry is delectable.

There is less icing that Cinnabon......but I can't say I miss it.
This fondness for the DPH (which is great) may explain your increasingly long photographic walks! :->

I've had a few good things from there, but not the cinnamon bun. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm in the office. But I'm screened out for two weeks because of a snotty toddler.

Japanese Coffee Shop 'Arabica' to open at Union!

Looks like they will fill this space:

1635249998452.png

From the instagram account of torontounion (Union Station)

Last edited:
Japanese Coffee Shop 'Arabica' to open at Union!

Looks like they will fill this space:

View attachment 358350
From the instagram account of torontounion (Union Station)

Do they use real coffee machines or the super automatic dealies that Pilot Coffee roasters (or was it danish pastry house) uses. Which are total brainless push button machines.

Do they use real coffee machines or the super automatic dealies that Pilot Coffee roasters (or was it danish pastry house) uses. Which are total brainless push button machines.

Pretty sure Pilot uses real coffee machines. They certainly do at their Leslieville location.

Pretty sure Pilot uses real coffee machines. They certainly do at their Leslieville location.

Will check again. It was one of the shops near Danish pastry house and the machines were basically push a button on iPad and the coffee came out of a faucet like nozzle/hose. I was disappointed bc I was expecting something a bit better than the Starbucks experience.

Will check again. It was one of the shops near Danish pastry house and the machines were basically push a button on iPad and the coffee came out of a faucet like nozzle/hose. I was disappointed bc I was expecting something a bit better than the Starbucks experience.
The Pilot on Ossington (at least shortly after it opened a year or two ago) had the automated pour overs as well.

They use the iPad for point-of-sale only. They have always had full espresso machines there. They are very modern - but they are proper espresso machines. IMO it is far far better than Starbucks (which I personally think is the lowest of the espresso based coffee shop chains).

These machines? Sorry my memory from a few years ago might be slightly different. I guess I was expecting to see a big traditional boiler type machine.

These machines? Sorry my memory from a few years ago might be slightly different. I guess I was expecting to see a big traditional boiler type machine.
As I said in my post - they are very modern. But that doesn't change the fact that they are espresso machines. Coffee is ground (in the background in the video), placed in and tamped in the filter, tightened on the base, and steam is injected under high pressure. That is an espresso machine. Milk is frothed with a control that determines the amount of air. I personally like the coffee at Pilot.

Back