Since the the Great Hall lightning has been brought up again, I decided to go some searching and came across this posting. Is this the winner of the contract? This is the first time in years that I’ve come across this and a conceptual design.

https://www.dgalight.com/toronto-union-station

View attachment 374031

View attachment 374032

View attachment 374033

My appologies for the poor quality. Was only able to do screen grabs.
Wow these look fantastic, I can’t wait for that dreary small orange light to be removed for those.

Since the the Great Hall lightning has been brought up again, I decided to go some searching and came across this posting. Is this the winner of the contract? This is the first time in years that I’ve come across this and a conceptual design.

View attachment 374031

View attachment 374032

View attachment 374033

That would be my guess - the firm is still being stated as part of that project at an event back in 2021 - speaker profile:

Ilva Dodaj
Senior Associate, Domingo Gonzalez Associates

Ilva is a trained architect who transitioned to architectural lighting in 2007 when joining Domingo Gonzalez Associates. In her time with the firm she has risen quickly to Senior Associate and has built an extensive experience leading and managing the design of numerous challenging and diverse award-winning projects across the Unites States and Canada. Her projects span in transportation, infrastructure, historical preservation, schools, offices, public parks, retail centers, hospitality, and master plans, making her an invaluable asset to the firm.

Notable recent and many award winning projects include the Tappan Zee/Mario Cuomo Bridge, Delta’s new terminal at LaGuardia Airport, Maggie Dealey Park in Chicago, West Side Multimodal in San Antonio, the interior of Toronto’s “front door,” its Union Station (which amongst other efforts required the design from scratch of historically inspired chandeliers). Ilva has led the lighting design for DGA for all of the Phase 2 scope of the recently opened Moynihan Train Hall in NYC.

In her words, the most satisfying investment of her time is split between the mentoring of new staff; the volunteer work in several IES technical standards committees; and dearest of all, teaching for the past 9 years at her alma mater as an Adjunct Professor in Architectural Environmental Systems/ Technology and Architectural Lighting Design.

In 2018 for demonstrated excellence as an emerging lighting designer she was the recipient of the 40 Under 40 Lighting Designer of North America Award.

Also my understanding is that the recent procurement has to do with the manufacturing of the luminaries, not the design? Could be wrong there.

AoD

Last edited:

View attachment 374031

View attachment 374032

View attachment 374033

The City actually issued a tender call for the new Great Hall lighting about 4 years ago but then cancelled it. At that time I discussed this with the City's supervising heritage architects for the Union Station Project (EVOQ Architecture) and was assured that the lighting would be done but the City needed to finish other things @ Union first. I was told last year that "Installation of lighting in the Great Hall – The City expects this work to be completed by end of 2022". I am not sure it will look exactly like the renderings you have posted but .....

If anyone here knows how I can transfer an iCloud photos folder to something I can share here; it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve spent the past month and a half finding every piece of concept art that was made for the Union Station Revitalization project; and so far I have over 730 pieces. I would like to share them here.

If anyone here knows how I can transfer an iCloud photos folder to something I can share here; it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve spent the past month and a half finding every piece of concept art that was made for the Union Station Revitalization project; and so far I have over 730 pieces. I would like to share them here.
I’d be really interested in that album!

You could try Imgur, at worst it’ll be split into 2/3 albums. You could also post the iCloud link (if that’s allowed by UT), cause I would love to browse through.

I’d be really interested in that album!

You could try Imgur, at worst it’ll be split into 2/3 albums. You could also post the iCloud link (if that’s allowed by UT), cause I would love to browse through.
If I post it as an iCloud link won’t that show my personal information such as my name? If not I’ll be happy to do that.

Thank you for sharing them!
You can copy and post them directly on UT - the site hosts photos posted in the threads.

MoD

I know google drive allows you to share a folder publicly but in terms of hiding your identity I don't know. Couldn't you create a new ICloud/Google Drive account with a different email address that doesn't reference your identity and share that link?

Posting 730+ photos is okay? I can do that.

There is a limit of 15 images per post.

So that would work out to ~49 posts; probably a bit much.

I think the idea of placing the majority in an accessible medium and linking back would probably the right way to go.

But pull some for direct posting that you're pretty sure are unique/rare/ new to UT in a smaller number of posts.

You also have to watch your image size when posting. Large can be ok....but if you max out a post with large images it will make the page slow to load for those w/o the fastest connections.

There is a limit of 15 images per post.

So that would work out to ~49 posts; probably a bit much.

I think the idea of placing the majority in an accessible medium and linking back would probably the right way to go.

But pull some for direct posting that you're pretty sure are unique/rare/ new to UT in a smaller number of posts.

You also have to watch your image size when posting. Large can be ok....but if you max out a post with large images it will make the page slow to load for those w/o the fastest connections.
Okay, I just signed up for Flicker so I can hopefully put all of them into a link or something, and l’ll include some select ones outside of that link which are especially interesting.

(Revamped) All Union Station concept art:

Last edited:
Here is the entire list, unfortunately Flickr mixed up my well organized listing of it so they’re all in random orders; however this is what I’ve got:
Subway
Union Station Revitalization
Rail Deck Park
CIBC Square
Northwest Union Station PATH
Union Station Enhancement Project
The USRC enhancement
Rail deck park
CN Tower Plaza
And a lot more that has involved Union Station and it’s rail corridor.

Nice, I definitely have some of these on file.

AoD

Back