I'm open to the thought; but I have to say, I don't mind the display windows, if properly purposed.

I mind the ceiling and lighting; and I might the crap restoration job on the not awe-inspiring to begin with walls.

There's so much that's mediocre in this section....

I would also add, as yet, that I have not noticed congestion as a huge issue in the VIA areas.

Though, Covid obviously messes w/that.

Further, one would hope HFR would generate significant additional ridership.

Precisely because mediocrity is a key aspect of this portion of Union Station - it was never about excellence - it's about utility at the time.

AoD

The vitrines are original to the station unfortunately.

Done well they could be used to promote Tourism Toronto, Parks Canada and VIA Rail.

Their original design purpose was to promote the latest wares from places like Hudsons Bay and Eatons to new arrivals in Toronto. No doubt they could be used for a similar purpose now.

Nevermind the dependence on competence of other parities - it's a waste of space that could otherwise be used to improve circulation.

AoD

I'm open to the thought; but I have to say, I don't mind the display windows, if properly purposed.

I mind the ceiling and lighting; and I might the crap restoration job on the not awe-inspiring to begin with walls.

There's so much that's mediocre in this section....

I would also add, as yet, that I have not noticed congestion as a huge issue in the VIA areas.

Though, Covid obviously messes w/that.

Further, one would hope HFR would generate significant additional ridership.
The display sections could work if the space was designed/used to showcase them. Instead VIA's current operations are based around funnelling everyone into standing in pointless queues in the middle of the concourse. Of course they have the worst part of union, they see it as a holding area, not a space for people to spend any time willingly. We need an entire overhaul of the way VIA uses their space.

I was being sarcastic. It's absolutely ridiculous that so much money is being spent on renovating Union Station, and yet after all these years we still have platforms that in many ways wouldn't be out of place in a rural village. Aside from the obvious accessibility issues, of which there are many, it's embarrassing that the most important rail transportation hub in the country has platforms that are dangerously narrow, and laughably short compared to the doors on trains.

Also the cheap looking concrete being used. I dont know know why the insistence on using concrete and ashphalt platforms. This may be understandable for minor stations but at premier stations like Union Station, you have to do better. Compare Union Station to the platforms at Rotterdam Centraal and see what a joke the platforms are. I don't see any of the future platform renders showing ant changes from the use of cheap concrete. We don't know pay attention to the small details in this city which we you don't see in other cities.

rotterdam-centraal-railway-station-netherlands-september-central-trains-platforms-has-efficient-network-141607671.jpg

Also the cheap looking concrete being used. I dont know know why the insistence on using concrete and ashphalt platforms. This may be understandable for minor stations but at premier stations like Union Station, you have to do better. Compare Union Station to the platforms at Rotterdam Centraal and see what a joke the platforms are. I don't see any of the future platform renders showing ant changes from the use of cheap concrete. We don't know pay attention to the small details in this city which we you don't see in other cities.

rotterdam-centraal-railway-station-netherlands-september-central-trains-platforms-has-efficient-network-141607671.jpg

This is Toronto where people are more concerned about cost than they are aesthetics.

Concrete is cheaper overall than interlocking which looks good on a balance sheet.

Considering they haven't built platforms to their target height the fact they aren't spending money with more elaborate finishes doesn't bother me. For me the key is reducing the risk of slippage on surfaces with melting snow.

How much did the media cover the Union Station Revitalization Project back in the late 2000’s? Was it barely anything or was it a large announcement?

How much did the media cover the Union Station Revitalization Project back in the late 2000’s? Was it barely anything or was it a large announcement?
As politicians were involved you can be sure there were lots of announcements! If you want details you can access the back files of The Star at the TPL website or just go back in this UT thread, it started in 2005.

As politicians were involved you can be sure there were lots of announcements! If you want details you can access the back files of The Star at the TPL website or just go back in this UT thread, it started in 2005.

It predates this UT thread - remember that was the abortive attempt by Mel to give this project over to Union Pearson Group soon after the city's purchase of the station in the early 2000s.

Bit of history: https://transittoronto.ca/regional/2306.shtml

Anyways, I finally passed through the station the first time in almost 2 years - not so impressed by the finishing at the York concourse (particularly the poorly finished columns along the central circulation path at the lower level). None of that paint could hide that it isn't truly smooth - it just made it look cheap. It felt so lazy.

AoD

Last edited:
Noticed the other day that 'they' seem to be fixing up the two stores (??) at the top of the escalators from/to the Bay concourse (both north and south). Both are blocked off with (temporary?) plasterboard walls.

It predates this UT thread - remember that was the abortive attempt by Mel to give this project over to Union Pearson Group soon after the city's purchase of the station in the early 2000s.

Bit of history: https://transittoronto.ca/regional/2306.shtml

Anyways, I finally passed through the station the first time in almost 2 years - not so impressed by the finishing at the York concourse (particularly the poorly finished columns along the central circulation path at the lower level). None of that paint could hide that it isn't truly smooth - it just made it look cheap. It felt so lazy.

AoD
Which part of the station? Sorry I don’t remember where the central circulation path is?

Hope they have a better location than the last one - right across from the McDonalds that always smelled like Filet-O-Fish.

Back