It was not part of the USRP because it was not planned (or envisioned) at the time that was planned. It's like asking why the extension of the Yonge subway line was not built in 1954 when the first (Yonge) section of the subway opened!

To be fair, Steve Munro called out Mx at the beginning of the USRP for not providing for things like platform expansion; Mx already knew that would be needed based on planned service levels.

While it's often unreasonable to ask for 50-year foresight, in this case, the need for the further work was a known commodity and some mixture of apathy/lack of funding derailed (pun intentional) getting something bigger into the initial plans.

To be fair, Steve Munro called out Mx at the beginning of the USRP for not providing for things like platform expansion; Mx already knew that would be needed based on planned service levels.

While it's often unreasonable to ask for 50-year foresight, in this case, the need for the further work was a known commodity and some mixture of apathy/lack of funding derailed (pun intentional) getting something bigger into the initial plans.
Yes, I agree that the platforms should have been dealt with but the planned 'south concourse' was never discussed and if the project had got much larger I bet it might never have happened at all - and would certainly not have been finished by now! I look on it as "Phase 2" as very little built in Phase 1 will be wasted.

I look on it as "Phase 2" as very little built in Phase 1 will be wasted.

Let's hope so; though dicussion of widening the stairs to/from the widened platforms, certainly suggests some re-do.

Why wasn't this part of the Union Station Revitalization project?

Union Station will be under construction till 2030. Crazy over 20 years of nonstop construction.
Because the rooms the South Concourse is replacing were built for extra space while the Revitalization was going on.

I doubt that they intend to (or would be allowed to) 'replace' the old ticket wickets on the north side, behind the wall. I assume the wall is 'temporary' until the area behind it is fitted out for the long-promised restaurant.
Yeah good point, seems strange they constructed one large wall and then a second wall blocking the restaurant.

Old article for anyone else who, like me, couldn't quite picture where the loading docks were (the tunnel is the same one used to get to the parking garage under 25 York).

But what's a "double tree roof"?

Just south of the York Street promenade:

urbantoronto-1229-3662.jpg

AoD

Just got this update on 'stuff'. At this rate none of us may be alive when the ceiling in the Front St promenade gets done! I assume (correctly) that they will move on to replacing the WEST door on Front (@York) but ...

Thank you for email. I've touched base with the project team and now have answers to your questions.

Regarding your first question on the ceiling of the Front Street Promenade: we expect construction to begin September 2022, as due to procurement delays, the City had to postpone the scheduling of the work. At this time we don't have a precise start date as to when the work will recommence, however once construction begins, the project will be completed in four (4) phases to keep the site accessible with each phase lasting approximately 3-6 weeks.

Similarly, the installation of the east door of Union station at Front & Bay is delayed due to supply issues in obtaining the door, stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. We expect the doors to arrive this month, and installation to be scheduled shortly thereafter.

Just got this update on 'stuff'. At this rate none of us may be alive when the ceiling in the Front St promenade gets done! I assume (correctly) that they will move on to replacing the WEST door on Front (@York) but ...

Thank you for email. I've touched base with the project team and now have answers to your questions.

Regarding your first question on the ceiling of the Front Street Promenade: we expect construction to begin September 2022, as due to procurement delays, the City had to postpone the scheduling of the work. At this time we don't have a precise start date as to when the work will recommence, however once construction begins, the project will be completed in four (4) phases to keep the site accessible with each phase lasting approximately 3-6 weeks.

Similarly, the installation of the east door of Union station at Front & Bay is delayed due to supply issues in obtaining the door, stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. We expect the doors to arrive this month, and installation to be scheduled shortly thereafter.

Three to Six weeks? To paint that area? How? With a single painter using this size brush:

1647458936432.png

From: https://www.rona.ca/en/product/simm...VyMDICh1v3QC_EAQYBCABEgJf0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I venture about 2 weeks; if he/she is pokey.

Seriously, one overnight shift to wrap all the lights and protect the stone and floors, then bring in a spray gun the next night, done.

Do it two parts, 4 days total.

Three to Six weeks? To paint that area? How? With a single painter using this size brush:

View attachment 385636

From: https://www.rona.ca/en/product/simm...VyMDICh1v3QC_EAQYBCABEgJf0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I venture about 2 weeks; if he/she is pokey.

Seriously, one overnight shift to wrap all the lights and protect the stone and floors, then bring in a spray gun the next night, done.

Do it two parts, 4 days total.
While I agree their schedule seems VERY excessive - even with a brush like you illustrated - the plaster needs lots of work before painting too. I would say 2 parts, 2 weeks each myself!

While I agree their schedule seems VERY excessive - even with a brush like you illustrated - the plaster needs lots of work before painting too. I would say 2 parts, 2 weeks each myself!

You've always had a sense of fairness and generosity, which I only sometimes share! LOL

Then again, when the thing is several years late.........

I confess, I don't understand how there is any procurement involved, surely a small change order for any of the existing jobs going on at Union should cover it..........but, whatever. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DSC
Union Station - Historic Structure Report (partial)

Partial copy of the report - Section 1, Heritage Character Analysis. Posted at the City of Toronto, Union Station site:

www.city.toronto.on.ca/cu...6-Carr.pdf

GB

Hard to believe we are coming up on 17 years to the day of the first post in this thread.

Just goes to show how slow the work is going.

Back