I just got this, slight, update from the City on the damned Jersey Barriers. Clearly not a high priority!

"You may be aware that Union Station is a National Historic Building and the designation requires the City to obtain review and approvals from Parks Canada to ensure that any permanent measures under consideration are consistent with the heritage principles applied to National Historic Buildings. Intergovernmental coordination of design related items can take time.

Union Station also sits above a Toronto Transit Commission subway structure and comes in close proximity to a number of key underground utilities that must be factored into the design of permanent measures, in addition to designing a permanent measure that is pedestrian friendly and code compliant. Minimization of impacts to emergency responders, pedestrians, businesses, taxis and ride shares are also factors that the City looks for the design to consider. Also of importance is that from 2020 to 2021, the City's response to the COVID-19 pandemic delayed several projects, including replacement of the jersey barriers.

Notwithstanding the above, the City of Toronto has selected a design and is proceeding through regulatory approvals and preparation of the solicitation documentation. Funding for the replacement of the jersey barriers will be sought through the 2023 budget process. Upon budget approval, construction is expected to commence in the second quarter of 2023 with a targeted completion date in April of 2024. Waterproofing work in the surrounding area will be coordinated with the replacement of the jersey barriers in order to minimize multiple impacts.

I can appreciate that from your perspective that it may appear that this project is moving slowly, however, staff are coordinating a significant number of elements to ensure that the project is executed with minimal impacts."

Last edited:
I just got this, slight, update from the City on the damned Jersey Barriers. Clearly bot a high priority!

"You may be aware that Union Station is a National Historic Building and the designation requires the City to obtain review and approvals from Parks Canada to ensure that any permanent measures under consideration are consistent with the heritage principles applied to National Historic Buildings. Intergovernmental coordination of design related items can take time.

Union Station also sits above a Toronto Transit Commission subway structure and comes in close proximity to a number of key underground utilities that must be factored into the design of permanent measures, in addition to designing a permanent measure that is pedestrian friendly and code compliant. Minimization of impacts to emergency responders, pedestrians, businesses, taxis and ride shares are also factors that the City looks for the design to consider. Also of importance is that from 2020 to 2021, the City's response to the COVID-19 pandemic delayed several projects, including replacement of the jersey barriers.

Notwithstanding the above, the City of Toronto has selected a design and is proceeding through regulatory approvals and preparation of the solicitation documentation. Funding for the replacement of the jersey barriers will be sought through the 2023 budget process. Upon budget approval, construction is expected to commence in the second quarter of 2023 with a targeted completion date in April of 2024. Waterproofing work in the surrounding area will be coordinated with the replacement of the jersey barriers in order to minimize multiple impacts.

I can appreciate that from your perspective that it may appear that this project is moving slowly, however, staff are coordinating a significant number of elements to ensure that the project is executed with minimal impacts."
If there even is a design I'd like to see it. The way they've been dragging this out I don't have a lot of faith they are making any progress.

I just got this, slight, update from the City on the damned Jersey Barriers. Clearly not a high priority!

What an embarrassment, so literally 6 years from the incident that sparked the whole exploration of this. That's how long it will take to install permanent barriers in front of one of our key landmarks?

This city is a joke when it comes to any kind of infrastructure project, I wouldnt be surprised if there's going to be some other kind of magical surprise that pushes this to 2030 at this rate. Funny how the Finch West LRT (a major project) will be completed before this.

I am sure concrete jersey barriers that has been there for 5 years and going are very much consistent with heritage principles - to the point it'd have to be considered as such for their historic values (i.e. speaking to our collective anxieties on public safety and a reflection of the zeitgeist).

AoD

I think the LCBO opens this week?

Nope.

As per this post, by me:

LCBO opens July 7th.

This week is Sephora.

Not really. I find it to be a sugary, fattening mess of a snack.
Oh, it's not about eating the actual product. It's about the smell! The nostalgic smell of the 80s beige previous Bay concourse. The fond memory of my first visit to Union Station in 2001. I would add it to the list of "heritage smells" (if such a list existed... which it should!)

Back