Does anyone know why the covered moat is closed west of the subway? It was opened after it was first covered but it has stayed closed since COVID?

Also is it just me or does the moat area just outside the subway entrance smells of heavy urine. Then you go into Union terminal and it changes to cosmetics from Sephora. Quite the radical difference. I wish we can keep new infrastructure cleaned at least. Union subway and this moat area is gross and very dirty.
It was indicated here earlier that the moat has leaks from under the sidewalk and that the moat is unlikely to open until they have a project on Front St to replace the jersey barriers and get under the sidewalk to waterproof things.

It was indicated here earlier that the moat has leaks from under the sidewalk and that the moat is unlikely to open until they have a project on Front St to replace the jersey barriers and get under the sidewalk to waterproof things.
Planned for 2023 but .......

So this will stay like that for another 10 years. Got it...

The York to Bay concourses connection, and the Foodie Aisle in between them:

IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6119.jpg
IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6122.jpg
IMG_6124.jpg
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6126.jpg

Do we know what stores will populate that connection? The stalls seem to be fairly large, grocery store?

Do we know what stores will populate that connection? The stalls seem to be fairly large, grocery store?
The Market Hall, which is meant to hold food stalls of various types — fresh foods, artisanal foods, prepared foods for takeaway, and more fast food products — is what has been promised. Whether or not it all ends up as food, and how soon it comes together, or parts of it comes together, remains to be seen.

Announced to the CIBC Building neighbours today:

"Separate from the work that will be taking place on Yonge St. for the future pedestrian bridge connecting into Backstage Condominiums, on Monday, October 31st, crews will begin certain construction elements of the future pedestrian bridge that will extend over Bay St. into Union Station. Once complete, this bridge will offer a connection between Union Station and the new CIBC SQUARE office tower at 141 Bay Street.

During this construction, the north side of the Bay West Teamway, which is the indoor walkway on the west side of Bay Street, will be closed for the safety of construction crews and pedestrians on-site. The closure will also impact the stairs to the Union Station train platforms 3-13 inside of the Bay West Teamway.

Crews will construct the foundation for the new bridge during the closure. This work will include drilling, excavation, and concrete construction. The plaza will be reinstated and opened back to the public once this phase of work is complete, which is targeted for late Spring 2023."

During this construction, the north side of the Bay West Teamway, which is the indoor walkway on the west side of Bay Street, will be closed for the safety of construction crews and pedestrians on-site. The closure will also impact the stairs to the Union Station train platforms 3-13 inside of the Bay West Teamway.
Perhaps it's a good job that GO ridership is way down in rush hour! And that they've now reopened the Bay Concourse. That's teamway is (was) packed in rush hour!

Perhaps it's a good job that GO ridership is way down in rush hour! And that they've now reopened the Bay Concourse. That's teamway is (was) packed in rush hour!
They should really put a sign for platform 3. It is the only one that won’t be accessible on either Teamway (except 24-27 but those are more obvious).

View attachment 432520
As far as I know the stairs that lead up to the Telus Ramp and required the VIA concourse to close were half done in 2018, so the other half shouldn’t take too long.
Iirc the top of the flight stairs shown in that picture is grade of ground level with mls scotia and telus bldg

The red beam you see in the aft-ground is the grade change structural bit of the “temp ramps” from telus to via, the red beam was under the flat part halfway up where ramps did a T intersection

Pretty sure that might even be my pic in which case i think it may have even been a little before 2018, the police banned me from union in may 2016 so that picture was probably winter of 2015/2016

Back