They managed to get inflation, market volatility, and Covid-19 all in one excuse. I’m curious as to how doing work constantly behind schedule helps mitigate against inflation; one could argue if they did the work or purchased the materials sooner, they wouldn’t be hit by this inflation

DSC is rather gentle - I'd be reminding that individual his response last March also included a completion date in the Fall. Passive aggressiveness and evasion will always be met with bluntness.

AoD

As faithful UTers know, the City told us last spring that the ceiling of the "Front Street Promenade' would be completed this fall, in 4 phases. As fall is ending I wrote to ask how things were going. Clearly, not well. They now say: "As I mentioned in March, the work that encompasses the Front Street Promenade will be completed in (4) phases. Abatement work is part of the overall work associated with the ceiling painting. Great Hall flooring and lighting work will also be completed in phases to mitigate against inflationary pressures (globally) that have compounded market volatility seen in construction costs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic." Now the phases are at some indeterminate time in the future!

No anger to you, of course, who have thoughtfully gone out and asked after a project in which we all take a keen interest.

But I am getting royally peeved at the excuse-making here.

It's not as if any project elements are going to get any cheaper as time goes on. Just 'bite the bullet' and get'er done already!

I will not hold my breath that my input will make any difference here, but lest I merely mutter into the ether.........I will see if I can't nudge this along.

Amano built a patio outside of their restaurant:

For a restaurant in the basement of a train station, Amano actually has a fair amount of character and pretty good food. They used to have an octopus and bone marrow pasta that was absolutely delicious. Sadly they've taken it off the menu. I regularly pester them to add it back, but they refuse, so I may have been the only person who ever ordered it.

How does reducing the number of platforms increase capacity when it will reduce the number of trains that can enter the train shed by half?

DSC is rather gentle - I'd be reminding that individual his response last March also included a completion date in the Fall. Passive aggressiveness and evasion will always be met with bluntness.

AoD
I most certainly reminded them, and copied the Mayor, that they had given a very leisurely schedule for the ceiling in the spring and it is really a mess that needs to be fixed. The rest of Union is pretty good, the ceiling and Great Hall lights and floor are a disgrace and detract from the good work elsewhere.

On this day in 1974 Union Station had a major fire:
9B770325-3C70-40A1-90B7-B78090C874A8.jpeg
43C7FD5D-2117-4EF3-8FAF-C600C8A5AF1E.jpeg
CF3A09C7-8467-42BD-B0B3-D183A8522332.jpeg

I think the best thing about this is that the black soot seen all over the building wasn’t from the fire, the station was just that filthy back then.

Back