While I'm at it......

The prominently placed 'Nail Bar' that's had its hoarding up for ...... a year?.....

Has finally applied for permits:

1684169604985.png

On the other hand, almost all of The Queenston’s branded hoarding was removed and replaced with generic Union Station images, is The Queenston ever happening at this point?
I still see one board in the hoarding had the branding up. I wonder if the vendors are renegotiating the leases because it's pretty clear now that there's no clear path to a pre-Covid level of traffic in downtown cores. With commercial real estate defaults starting to pop up as well.

They must be renegotiating them. Tuesday through Thursday aren't exactly pre-covid level, but are pretty busy. It's a ghost town down there on Mondays and Fridays, though Leafs/Raptors/Jays game days do prop it up, especially around Union.

And I'd imagine that Fridays would have been a big chunk of the downtown restaurant revenues pre-covid, which has all mostly evaporated.

I still see one board in the hoarding had the branding up. I wonder if the vendors are renegotiating the leases because it's pretty clear now that there's no clear path to a pre-Covid level of traffic in downtown cores. With commercial real estate defaults starting to pop up as well.
Funny that pedestrian traffic downtown is nowhere near pre-covid levels, but traffic overall in the city is almost worse than pre-covid. The 401 is horrendous these days. So is the Gardiner. I guess people are just driving instead of taking transit now.

Funny that pedestrian traffic downtown is nowhere near pre-covid levels, but traffic overall in the city is almost worse than pre-covid. The 401 is horrendous these days. So is the Gardiner. I guess people are just driving instead of taking transit now.
Most downtown pedestrian traffic seems pretty back to normal to me - except for the few blocks around the business district itself.

Yeah, there seems to have been a transit to car shift. I expect it will balance out over time - especially with more and more returning to work.

That's what happens when there are spates of violent incidents which scare people away from the system, in addition to transit service not returning to pre-covid levels even after demand for service started coming back. Thus less people started taking transit due to the lesser frequencies, thus more service cuts, thus even less people taking transit...you get the gist.

my experience is that traffic is still lighter than pre-covid, especially on Mondays and Fridays.

Tues-Thurs is pretty close to pre-covid now though, yes..

The 401 being a disaster is nothing new, either.

Remember as well that the GTA is a solid half a million more people today than it did in the summer of 2019..

I do know that the 407 as of February still wasn't hitting minimum traffic targets to increase their tolls, which remain unchanged from 2019s rates.

GO service, especially peak service, has remained pretty substantially below pre-covid levels as well which I'm sure isn't helping traffic on the Gardiner. LSW is up to 9 peak-hour express trains as of today again, which matches pre-covid service levels - that should hopefully help again.

That's what happens when there are spates of violent incidents which scare people away from the system, in addition to transit service not returning to pre-covid levels even after demand for service started coming back. Thus less people started taking transit due to the lesser frequencies, thus more service cuts, thus even less people taking transit...you get the gist.
This is exactly why I refuse to let my vulnerable, elderly family member take public transit alone anymore. I couldn’t live with allowing them to become a needless victim. They used take the TTC all the time, my whole family did. After us living here for ~50 years, public transit is ”almost unusable” for the first time ever.

It used to be that it was the TTC pissing you off with their service - now, I’m thankful every time I don’t see a deranged person on the system. This now affects most major TAs across Canada and the United States.

This is exactly why I refuse to let my vulnerable, elderly family member take public transit alone anymore.
Let?

And a bit of an exaggeration. It's still far safter than crossing the street.

I couldn’t live with allowing them to become a needless victim.
So you make them be in cars instead, putting their lives at even higher risk?

Back