Yes you are right...I think they are trying to differentiate between the Union Subway Station and the, well, Union Train Station

The sign could have simply said "GO, VIA ---> " rather than Union Rail Station

And what about Amtrak?

Well, for one, Amtrak doesn't really run to Union Station.

It may look like it, but that train is staffed, scheduled and operated by VIA, using Amtrak equipment. If Amtrak pulled out of the service tomorrow, VIA would run it with their own equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Well, for one, Amtrak doesn't really run to Union Station.

It may look like it, but that train is staffed, scheduled and operated by VIA, using Amtrak equipment. If Amtrak pulled out of the service tomorrow, VIA would run it with their own equipment.
VIA neither staffs nor operates the Amtrak train between Niagara Falls and New York City. I'd think Amtrak has input on scheduling as well.

You can go to the Amtrak site, and buy an Amtrak ticket that says Amtrak on it. The train also says Amtrak on it. Those looking for signage aren't really caring who is paying the salary of the crew for a relatively small segment of the trip.

The point is, y'all can sit here forever back-seat whinging about the signage. No one has had a great, simple, solution.

"Union Rail" omits the bus terminal. This will become more of an issue if/when GO Bus Terminal becomes multi-user (and therefore having more tourists and fewer commuters), unless an ACC-Bus Terminal stop is built in the Bay streetcar tunnel, and I think we have a fair idea of how likely that is.

Solution (your welcome)

1 sign with an arrow that says "TTC Subway/Streetcar" another sign with an arrow that says "Everything else"

Solution (your welcome)

1 sign with an arrow that says "TTC Subway/Streetcar" another sign with an arrow that says "Everything else"
Surely Anything else? > would be a subtle reminder of the dark days the opening of this platform marks the last days of ;)

Solution (your welcome)

Anywhere else or anytime else.
tardis-doctor-who.jpg

I could see signs that read:

"TTC Subway"

"Regional Transit" or "Go Transit" - this would then separate to more specific "Go Trains" and "Go Buses" signs

"Inter-City Trains" or "Passenger Trains" - this could have applicable logos in small size below.

But then you got people complaining about confusing wayfinding. I say keep it simple, I don't see the need for a sign for each rail service inside the subway station, since you need to get to the railroad station first and then get to the specific rail service (Go, Via, Amtrak...).

I could see signs that read:

"TTC Subway"

"Regional Transit" or "Go Transit" - this would then separate to more specific "Go Trains" and "Go Buses" signs

"Inter-City Trains" or "Passenger Trains" - this could have applicable logos in small size below.

Yep, agreed. 5 minutes in illustrator:

Ks8D5UE.jpg

Yep, agreed. 5 minutes in illustrator:

Ks8D5UE.jpg
But where's the elevator signage that's also on the sign. All these complaints are about a sign pointing to an elevator!

Also calling it "Regional Transit" might confuse those who don't consider inter-city trains as transit.

Finally, this doesn't consider either GO bus and other intercity bus service ... which may require different directions.

Union Rail Station works fine ...

I'm not even sure why you'd make a Local Transit sign ... for within a subway station??

The logos look like crap too ... I doubt there'd be visible from a distance. And honestly, that Train icon looks more like a boat to me ...

But where's the elevator signage that's also on the sign. All these complaints are about a sign pointing to an elevator!

Also calling it "Regional Transit" might confuse those who don't consider inter-city trains as transit.

Finally, this doesn't consider either GO bus and other intercity bus service ... which may require different directions.

Union Rail Station works fine ...

I'm not even sure why you'd make a Local Transit sign ... for within a subway station??

The logos look like crap too ... I doubt there'd be visible from a distance. And honestly, that Train icon looks more like a boat to me ...

I don't care what you think.

I don't care what you think.
Nor should you. My point—which you seems to have flown so far over your head that you didn't even feel it—is that it's really easy to criticize what's been done, but very difficult to do any better.

Back