What's with the personal attacks? I've never personally attacked someone for simply answering the question.

We know there was once an Asbestos problem at Sheppard station (and other stations) - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...02/Mar_20_2002/Other/Asbestos_Abatement_P.jsp

We discussed in another thread almost 5 years ago that the installation of some of the monitors was delayed by asbestos - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...t-Train-Bus-announcements?p=342689#post342689

I can't fathom either Panontario's rudeness, nor your defence of his personal attack - especially given that the asbestos issue I mentioned in my one-word response has been floating around for years.

you do realize that Sheppard Subway was opened in 2002. That's two decades after they realized that asbestos is dangerous, and stopped using it...

you do realize that Sheppard Subway was opened in 2002. That's two decades after they realized that asbestos is dangerous, and stopped using it...

Did they a) do an asbestos survey of the "old station" that was built 3 decades earlier? b) after that survey either did, or did not, reveal the presence of asbestos was an asbestos management plan (AMP) written? c) after that plan was written did they then proceed to follow it whilst removing all of the asbestos that may or may not have been found in the old station?

It is perfectly possible that part a) of the above was done and a decision was made to leave asbestos in place (most asbestos used in buildings is perfectly safe until it is somehow displaced (either intentional or by accident) so they leave it there and let the asbestos management plan guide them on when/if/how it has to be removed). It is very, very, possible that one of the items in that plan is identifying possible/likely ACMs (asbestos containing materials) in the ceiling finishes (it was a very common use of ACMs) and that disturbing those per the AMP would be costly/time consuming/inconvenient......so they may not quite have a plan on how to hang screens/monitors/displays with that ceiling dynamic in place.

These are all very real possibilities and, given the anger/ire/snarkiness that has resulted, I am very happy that nfitz beat me to my natural/first instinct of replying with "asbestos?"

What do you mean "stopped using it"? It's part of the structure.

If they "stopped using it" in 2002, why did TTC issue an asbestos abatement RFP less than a year ago - http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Business/Materials_and_procurement/Ads_PP/Proposal/P23PA13811.jsp

There's still asbestos being removed in the tunnels built at the same time as Sheppard station. And I don't recall having seen all the finishes at Sheppard station ever removed to get rid of the asbestos behind them (though I was out of town much of the time back in 2002, so perhaps I missed it).

More to the point? Why such extreme rudeness to an honest suggestion of why the screen has not been installed yet? Even if it isn't asbestos that is holding it up, how does that justify such a rude response to a perfectly reasonable and plausible possible explanation - that no one has disproved.

What do you mean "stopped using it"? It's part of the structure.

If they "stopped using it" in 2002, why did TTC issue an asbestos abatement RFP less than a year ago - http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Business/Materials_and_procurement/Ads_PP/Proposal/P23PA13811.jsp

There's still asbestos being removed in the tunnels built at the same time as Sheppard station. And I don't recall having seen all the finishes at Sheppard station ever removed to get rid of the asbestos behind them (though I was out of town much of the time back in 2002, so perhaps I missed it).

More to the point? Why such extreme rudeness to an honest suggestion of why the screen has not been installed yet? Even if it isn't asbestos that is holding it up, how does that justify such a rude response to a perfectly reasonable and plausible possible explanation - that no one has disproved.

Entire Sheppard platform was completely stripped down and re-done during Sheppard subway construction. Station and the subway were closed on several occasions during the renovations. We are not talking about the tunnels...

Entire Sheppard platform was completely stripped down and re-done during Sheppard subway construction. Station and the subway were closed on several occasions during the renovations. We are not talking about the tunnels...
I stand corrected then.

However, that still doesn't explain your completely over the top rude response when I asked if it was asbestos. Are you planning to apologize for such uncivil and unacceptable behaviour?

I stand corrected then.

However, that still doesn't explain your completely over the top rude response when I asked if it was asbestos. Are you planning to apologize for such uncivil and unacceptable behaviour?

OK children, let's all take a time out and get back to Union Station....

time-out.jpg

Attachments

• time-out.jpg
    time-out.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 998
OK children, let's all take a time out and get back to Union Station....

But what are the rules here? Nfitz attempted to suggest an answer but since his answer was only a suggestion he posed it as a question.....people jump on that...one post even calls him rude and tells him to "watch it".....now that this post is deleted he is called a child for asking for an apology?

Nfitz can look after himself...but as someone who does ask questions around here....is this how they are to be handled?

Thank you, apology accepted
Uh, I wasn't apologizing for anything. I said I thought that the station finish hadn't been removed in 2002 - but I may be wrong. You said they were removed. What would I have to apologize about - I was pretty clear that I wasn't sure all that was done. I'm still not unconvinced the delay in installing the screens at Sheppard isn't related to asbestos issues and the tunnel work - though I'm certainly not sure.

Though perhaps we should be discussing this in the appropriate thread - urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10702-TTC-Next-Train-Bus-announcements

Yes, my response was over the top
That's not an apology either.

Last edited:
That is an apology, suck it up and move on. Any more posts prolonging this will be deleted and more members may go on vacation.

Was down at Union today but getting off from the old side. Wish they had used clear panels to block off the tracks as it's pretty dark and depressing there now.

Was down at Union today but getting off from the old side. Wish they had used clear panels to block off the tracks as it's pretty dark and depressing there now.

It should be a lot nicer when it's done I'm assuming

Back