Kind of like the Southbound Davisville Platform that has tracks on either side, but the tracks on the west side on of the Southbound platform are never ever used by the public?
I've boarded a southbound train on the west side a few times.

Don't people board there every afternoon when trains go into service for the PM peak?

Yeah, but it's not that often.
Mostly with trains going into service or going out of service at Davisville is when that platform is used.
I've never actually experienced it myself.

Yeah, but it's not that often.
Mostly with trains going into service or going out of service at Davisville is when that platform is used.
I've never actually experienced it myself.
OK, I know I am one of those who has commented but I think we have established that the second platform at Davisville is used from time to time. Let's get back to UNION STATION!

Permanently closing off one side of the centre platform is probably safer in the absence of platform screen doors - you can handle crush loads without having to worry about people spilling over to the tracks on the other side.

AoD

Permanently closing off one side of the centre platform is probably safer in the absence of platform screen doors - you can handle crush loads without having to worry about people spilling over to the tracks on the other side.

AoD

And if I remember the Union Station drawings, at least some (if not all) of the staircases and escalators will be relocated southward closer to the glass wall so that there is more room on the platform near the trains.

And if I remember the Union Station drawings, at least some (if not all) of the staircases and escalators will be relocated southward closer to the glass wall so that there is more room on the platform near the trains.

Yes, I think they will be flush against the wall.

AoD

OK, I know I am one of those who has commented but I think we have established that the second platform at Davisville is used from time to time. Let's get back to UNION STATION!

Well, the second platform is open and nearly finished (the escalators were running this morning but still closed off), and the old platform is in the middle of being redone (it is currently a dark, cramped and unpleasant space). There are new stairs shifted over to where the edge of the old platform was in process of construction. We're still waiting for the streetcar platform to re-open and the mezzanine to be redone, but that will be in conjunction with the new stairs/escalators from the original platform. So, since there aren't any other big changes imminently opening, the conversation is bound to wander a few stops away. The biggest operational change with the new platform at Union is that the crew changeovers have to be at St. Andrew or Osgoode now. They used to happen at Union all the time and sometimes at St. Andrew.

Call me lazy for not looking through the 58-pages here, but will the streetcar loop only be accessible from the tunnel on the Finch-bound platform?

Yes. Anyone coming from the Downsview-bound platform will need to go up to the concourse and down again.

Instead of a wall it should be a platform door that never opens. But in the case of an emergency that option would be available.

Or, far more likely, it could be used in the case of severe crowding on the (rather narrow) south platform. Operators could open the doors to the old platform first to encourage people to exit through that side, before opening the south side doors to load.

But in any case, it's too late now, the design has placed stairwells in front of many of the doors. The benefit these provide probably exceeds the benefits of the added flexibility anyway.

Or, far more likely, it could be used in the case of severe crowding on the (rather narrow) south platform. Operators could open the doors to the old platform first to encourage people to exit through that side, before opening the south side doors to load.

But in any case, it's too late now, the design has placed stairwells in front of many of the doors. The benefit these provide probably exceeds the benefits of the added flexibility anyway.
There goes the plan to have a quasi-Spanish solution.

Back