Of course. And someone at TTC is very hurt no one mentioned Museum!
(The Sheppard line stations actually have some really nice art [especially given how the budget got chopped] just not on the platforms.)

Other than the Sheppard-Yonge Station mural, is there any notable artwork on Sheppard Line? I can't recall any.

Those murals are rather tame for public art. They blend into the background more than art like the two-storey flower murals at Dupont or the columns at Museum.

Those murals are rather tame for public art. They blend into the background more than art like the two-storey flower murals at Dupont or the columns at Museum.
...or the PCCs at Eglinton West, which is why few people ever wondered why PCCs never served the station.

...or the PCCs at Eglinton West, which is why few people ever wondered why PCCs never served the station.
PCCs might never have served (or gone past) Eglinton West station, but they did travel on Eglinton West from Caledonia to Oakwood, about 500 metres from Eglinton West station until 1960 (the Oakwood streetar). So they certainly are part of the history of the neighbourhood near Eglinton West station!

It seams that this project is over $100 million over budget and guess where the money came from to cover this over run??

The Spadina over run has open a can of worms and council was piss off about Peter was paying Paul for the over run.

Waterfront Toronto was asked to kick in the funds to cover the over run when it wasn't their fault in the first place, but it was the City. Waterfront Toronto took that $100 million out of the Eastbay LRT fund and why no plans to build it anytime soon.

This robbing other accounts needs to stop, so say council.

Council was unhappy on this extra funding to the Spadina line since there is a good chance council will be asked for more funding to cover legal actions from this mess down the road.

Sigh... I suppose I'm the only one who'll appreciate that the TTC tried to do something interesting here.

Well I applaud the effort and hope they collaborate with artists on more stations. I live along the sheppard line and really enjoy the Sheppard/Yonge murals and the skewed trompe l'oeil drawings at Bayview. While I do find Museum a bit kitschy, it is fun and I much prefer it to what was there. I do not like the Pachter murals, not a fan of his work in general to be honest and a couple of those figures look like they have elephantiases- I find them hard to look at.

Of course. And someone at TTC is very hurt no one mentioned Museum!

Considering how ham-fisted that exercise was, and the quality of the end product, I hope they'd reflect on their poor taste instead.

re: Pachter

I rather like his pieces at College - and contextually it is especially interesting now that the Leafs has moved out of the Gardens.

AoD

Considering how ham-fisted that exercise was, and the quality of the end product, I hope they'd reflect on their poor taste instead.

re: Pachter

I rather like his pieces at College - and contextually it is especially interesting now that the Leafs has moved out of the Gardens.

AoD

There was supposed to be another Pachter mural at Dundas, using a motif of repeating images of PCC streetcars to cover part of the tile wall (similar to College), but after they changed the fluorescent lights to a more white light from a really warm pink light, it was decided that they didn't need the mural (more likely a cost-cutting excercise).

There was supposed to be another Pachter mural at Dundas, using a motif of repeating images of PCC streetcars to cover part of the tile wall (similar to College), but after they changed the fluorescent lights to a more white light from a really warm pink light, it was decided that they didn't need the mural (more likely a cost-cutting excercise).

Totally didn't realize this - thanks for the info! So I take it the mural did not get produced?

AoD

Actually the hideous figures that make me cringe are by John Boyle, but I'm not a big fan of the College murals either. I like the subject and context just not the execution.

Totally didn't realize this - thanks for the info! So I take it the mural did not get produced?

AoD

Did some quick digging...from the March 21, 1984 Globe and Mail:

The mural was going to cost $98,000, which the TTC was going to raise from private sources, while Commissioner Jeffery Lyons noted that the Province might provide up to 50% of the cost. I guess the fundraising wasn't a success and the province never came through, so the mural never got made.

In regards to the modernized Dundas Station: "TTC Chair Julian Porter says the walls are 'a terrible colour' for people who enter the station each morning. 'If it has one virtue, it prevents me from drinking the night before.'"

The College mural was reported to cost $66,000, however it was not without issues, and not just the use of the Maple Leafs logo. TTC Commissioner June Rowlands insisted that more players be shown wearing helmets, "to set an example for young hockey players".

Last edited:
I think the drawings are very representative of your typical visual artist these days, with most Art schools cranking out graduates who don't know how to draw very well... dumpster diving is deemed a more useful skill these days.

Ah, a fresh new variation of the ole "my kid could do that".

Back