Exactly. Create demand for transit, and more buses will be added to the Bloor West 49 and the East Mall 111. Both of those routes are every 10 minutes at rush hour currently.

there are two bus routes that go through the intersection that both lead fairly directly to Kipling.. but they only come every 10 minutes.

By Toronto standards that is very poor transit service. With this and 2 Gibbs that may increase.. but still, not the sort of transit service that it may be smart to be locating 1,100 units next to. The vast majority of owners in this area likely drive to work.

Ugh? i been up there and there are bus routes everywhere, or is transit only Subways + LRTs now in Toronto..lol

Exactly. Create demand for transit, and more buses will be added to the Bloor West 49 and the East Mall 111. Both of those routes are every 10 minutes at rush hour currently.

The 49 actually has a lot of demand for it (at least during peak periods). A lot more demand than the TTC seems to think it has because I see those buses regularly packed both departing and arriving full at Kipling station, so clearly there's not enough service being provided there.

The 111 is in the exact same predicament of being regularly packed during the rush hour, but again not enough service is being provided there either.

Having bus routes "everywhere" is one thing, but having proper service is another. So no, @Automation Gallery transit really isnt present in the area in the way that you think it is. Take for example the Humber Bay Shores area, transit is might be seen as being "everywhere" there because the 501, and 66 are right next door. Is enough service being run on both those routes to meet demand? Most definitely not.

I love the look of those punctured windows ! It really makes the buildings facade stand out !

Having spent enough time in these towers over the last 15 years, been waiting to see what was going to happen to them as they called out "I need to be redevelop". More so with all the development just to the north of it.

They have done a number of updates over the years, but still a lot of empty space.

The parking lot used a lot of wasted space and this project will fill the existing land that there now. No other land to be had as you have roads on all 4 sides of it.

The Valhalla Town Square Condos plans have a 31s, 37s and 43s towers along with 10-12s going up there. The tallest for One Valhalla was 32s. Tridal West Village tallest was 31s.

Not impress with the design and do agree with @42 on turning the building for better sun use.

I would still keep some of it as mix use and can't see this been 100% employment land since there are a number of office towers in the area and a few of them have the same issues as here

The quality of TTC service is not great for Route 49 and it should be taken over by miWay Route 3 that has better service. Even 111 only runs about every 15 and lightly use off peak.

The 49 actually has a lot of demand for it (at least during peak periods). A lot more demand than the TTC seems to think it has because I see those buses regularly packed both departing and arriving full at Kipling station, so clearly there's not enough service being provided there.

The 111 is in the exact same predicament of being regularly packed during the rush hour, but again not enough service is being provided there either.

Having bus routes "everywhere" is one thing, but having proper service is another. So no, @Automation Gallery transit really isnt present in the area in the way that you think it is. Take for example the Humber Bay Shores area, transit is might be seen as being "everywhere" there because the 501, and 66 are right next door. Is enough service being run on both those routes to meet demand? Most definitely not.
A lot of drama for something that can be fixed easily by upping the frequency of the buses.

The 66B, to Humber Bay Shores, has been tweaked a number of times in the past few years to come more frequently during rush hour, and I assume it will continue to be tweaked as more buildings open. No reason to think otherwise, and the same could happen if the demand rises for the 49 and 111.

^Upping the frequency of anything transit related in this city is always cheap talk by our political masters. Acting on the issue always seems to handcuff them, so it's something that's easier said than done.

I wouldn't say that. Bus frequency increase have actually been pretty common on the TTC lately - the 63 Ossington had a huge off peak frequency increase recently - something like 40% more buses.

Is that really true of new condo owners and apartment dwellers on the East Mall though? I’d be surprised.
Most of Etobicoke's condos are becoming the home for those who want that "middle ground". Close to highways to be able to drive to their job in the 905, but still relatively close to downtown to enjoy that lifestyle, too. Most of Humber Bay Shores is full of these "reverse commuters", and my hunch is that a lot of this area would be filled with the same.

This isn't an employment zone though - it's mixed use. This is a significant office loss, but it's crappy, mostly empty suburban space far away from transit. I'm not too concerned.

Now whether this level of residential density should be being put this far from transit.. that is another matter.

Development of the scale should include the option for residents to find work close to home and perhaps without the need of a coat in winter. Fast reliable transit reduces commuter time per distance traveled but, this is a long ways from employment lands in the GTA once all the other lower class office towers are demo'd and not replaced for residential. This is suburbia planning that people have bitched about for years except now in high rise form. It does save farmland.

DJI_0090.JPG
DJI_0084.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0084.JPG
    DJI_0084.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • DJI_0090.JPG
    DJI_0090.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,130
there are two bus routes that go through the intersection that both lead fairly directly to Kipling.. but they only come every 10 minutes.

By Toronto standards that is very poor transit service. With this and 2 Gibbs that may increase.. but still, not the sort of transit service that it may be smart to be locating 1,100 units next to. The vast majority of owners in this area likely drive to work.

I'm in the Valhalla buildings, 111 service during rush hour is currently awful because kids fill up bus to get to school at the corner, and the TTC hasn't adjusted it yet. Now I just walk to the 49

I'm in the Valhalla buildings, 111 service during rush hour is currently awful because kids fill up bus to get to school at the corner, and the TTC hasn't adjusted it yet. Now I just walk to the 49
Oh it's not just the 111, ever since this kids ride free policy has been implemented service has deteriorated on many routes due to crush load capacity, but I digress.

Back