. It's like a super dense, suburban hybrid. Perfectly acceptable but will never live up my version of urbanity no matter how many people you add.

IWe can't afford a million more people in 20 years. That would be horrible as only the desparate as everyone else is turned off by our lower wages and incredibly high costs of living.

. It's like a super dense, suburban hybrid. Perfectly acceptable but will never live up my version of urbanity no matter how many people you add.

IWe can't afford a million more people in 20 years. That would be horrible as only the desparate as everyone else is turned off by our lower wages and incredibly high costs of living.
Toronto is well on track to reach that number, if not exceed it. IIRC the City of Toronto added 75,000 people in 2018. To reach 1,000,000 new people in 20 years, we need to add "only" 50,000.

The city has likely already passed 3,000,000 (was at 2,956,000 in July 2018).. getting to 3,900,000 isn't that absurd.

As an FYI - the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area or CMA, reached (according to Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey estimates) 5,597,700, up 144,300 on a year-over-year basis. Data from Table 8 of the September Labour Force Survey, published by Statistics Canada on Friday, October 11.

(The Toronto CMA includes the City and the closer suburban areas - Pickering, Ajax, Markham and Vaughan (York Region), Mississauga, Oakville, and Brampton. Excluded from the Toronto CMA would be Whitby, Oshawa and points east, Barrie, Burlington, Hamilton and so on.)

Toronto is well on track to reach that number, if not exceed it. IIRC the City of Toronto added 75,000 people in 2018. To reach 1,000,000 new people in 20 years, we need to add "only" 50,000.

The city has likely already passed 3,000,000 (was at 2,956,000 in July 2018).. getting to 3,900,000 isn't that absurd.

I'm well aware of the projections and the realities. Population growth is tied to more supertalls afterall. That doesn't contradict not being able to afford it and it being horrible. A shoebox will rent for $3500 a month and the majority of private sector wages will still be stagnant. You already get more square footage for your buck in many European centres and you also earn a lot more.

I'm well aware of the projections and the realities. Population growth is tied to more supertalls afterall. That doesn't contradict not being able to afford it and it being horrible. A shoebox will rent for $3500 a month and the majority of private sector wages will still be stagnant. You already get more square footage for your buck in many European centres and you also earn a lot more.

Agreed. It's why I'm trying to come up with some kind of exit strategy. My hometown is going to shit.

I don't really think you earn a lot more in Europe, compared to cost of living. I found the wage - cost of living balance to be the opposite. Maybe the US.

Has this project been approved?
Not quite yet. It was approved at Community Council, and is now going in front of City Council on September 30th, where it is officially approved. Then there is the appeal period for anyone to appeal the approval if they wish.. After that, if there are no appeals, it's approved.

That said, city council typically just rubber stamps these approvals without discussion. So unless there is an appeal, this is essentially approved.

A Site Plan Approval application was submitted on December 14:

To construct Phase 1 of the multi-building, mixed-use development at 300-304 The East Mall. Phase 1 consists of a one 29-storey rental apartment building with 267 dwelling units on the western portion of the site; a 10-storey mixed-use building (with 2-storey wings) fronting the East Mall, on the eastern portion of the site, containing 124 residential rental units, retail (1,206 m²), office (2,585 m²), community agency space (465 m²), and assisted-living units on floors 5 and 6; a new central road; and a new public park on the southeast corner of the site. Phase 1 would include a total of 391 dwelling units and a total gross floor area of 35,503 m² (including 4,256 m² of non-residential gross floor area). A two level underground parking garage and 394 parking spaces are proposed for Phase 1 of the development.

1616031462298.png

1616031724382.png

1616031846871.png

1616031867368.png

Back