It has to be said: this is NOT the building I thought I'd one day see the W logo on in Toronto.

That the ghost of the Marriott logo is still on the building is an eerie assertion of Marriott's ownership of W.

khabah

Good eye. I can still se a bit of the old logo.

Does anyone know if the hotel has some rooms on the lower floors of the tower with the W logo as well as in a separate low-rise building on Asquith or just in the low-rise building? It's not unheard of to have hotel rooms spread out in more than one building, I believe the hotel at Rosedale on Bloor will have rooms in both the buildings facing Bloor and Selby.

Does anyone know if the hotel has some rooms on the lower floors of the tower with the W logo as well as in a separate low-rise building on Asquith or just in the low-rise building? It's not unheard of to have hotel rooms spread out in more than one building, I believe the hotel at Rosedale on Bloor will have rooms in both the buildings facing Bloor and Selby.
The hotel has suites at the base of the tower, yes. These two Apple M]aps views, facing southeast and northeast, show hotel room windows encircling the courtyard and facing south towards Bloor and north towards Asquith as well, basically everything below the mechanical levels. The residential apartments start above the mechanicals.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 16.04.23.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 16.05.02.jpg

Does some roof greening ever need to take place there…

I wonder how it all looks from above now with the new elevator, bar, etc.

The hotel has suites at the base of the tower, yes. These two Apple M]aps views, facing southeast and northeast, show hotel room windows encircling the courtyard and facing south towards Bloor and north towards Asquith as well, basically everything below the mechanical levels. The residential apartments start above the mechanicals.

View attachment 337001View attachment 337002

Does some roof greening ever need to take place there…

I wonder how it all looks from above now with the new elevator, bar, etc.

Thanks. What a weird arrangement. And the whole complex has no redeeming value architecturally. Even a brutalist fan should be aghast!

One could argue that this is lipstick on a pig...but it's not even good lipstick.

The articulated re-clad looks cheap and bland. And that elevator shaft looks like a construction crane covered in plastic wrap. In fact, I bet most of the general public will think it's just that.

The redo is not beautiful. It's not interesting. I am not even sure it's "meh."

One could argue that this is lipstick on a pig...but it's not even good lipstick.

The articulated re-clad looks cheap and bland. And that elevator shaft looks like a construction crane covered in plastic wrap. In fact, I bet most of the general public will think it's just that.

The redo is not beautiful. It's not interesting. I am not even sure it's "meh."
My speculation that this is only temporary measure, as there might be bigger plans for this whole site in the works. It will be likely awhile before we see anything concrete (no pun intended) is even announced about this, Meanwhile, this W outfit still has a hotel to run here and we seeing the results of that.

Well it's better than the concrete but still not great and highly disjointed, slapped right between two massive towering slabs of nothing. This concrete beast needs a serious re-do and hopefully they can do it better than this. Take some hints from Manulife Centre which has turned out quite nice.

I can see a major skyscraper development on this parcel on land in the future! Once all the the other developers have built there condo buildings in the Yorkville area.

Back