Lol ok. Little integrity. Completely erroneous comparison to Myhal, taste may vary but the quality of design and execution there are much higher. Menkes could have done better, that is on them. It's disappointing.
Lol, ok. Is really just on them? Menkes is in the business of making money. They'll build what people buy (or in this case, rent). And they accomplished that without anything flashy. So why would they cut their profit margins if they don't have to? I think the issue you have is part of a larger problem with the approval process, not sure why you're so angry with Menkes.

Completely erroneous comparison to Myhal, taste may vary but the quality of design and execution there are much higher.
Myhal is dull to the point of being soulless. And keeping it's more interesting elements inside, just doesn't cut it. This project does neither. As well as the quality is really about the same for both. So the comparison of campus based buildings with "innovation" with in their names is completely fair game as far as I am concerned. And oh, lol too.

Lol, ok. Is really just on them? Menkes is in the business of making money. They'll build what people buy (or in this case, rent). And they accomplished that without anything flashy. So why would they cut their profit margins if they don't have to? I think the issue you have is part of a larger problem with the approval process, not sure why you're so angry with Menkes.
I too enjoy good architecture in this city and others and shed a tear for the lost profit margins.

Could your bar get any lower. What's next, arguing that the quality of public education is fine because there are kids inside those schools.
I don't think the comment was arguing at all. Maybe you misread the post? Really confused on the point you're trying to make by bringing up public education for an office building.

Gonna have to disagree here. As Menkes is well known in producing hits and misses. Since Menkes has hits, (ie. Fleur), you can't claim they have zero integrity. You can say, you can't always rely on them to get thing's right (ie. 365 Church).

That said, this building isn't bad. Certainly has more going for it than say Myhal Centre for Engineering, Innovation and Entrepreneurship - which incidentally also has "innovation" in it's name, lol. The problem with this building, and where it dropped the ball, it could of been something much better than it is. That disappointment will always be black mark against this project. But outside of that, it's far from horrible, IMO.

Well articulated. To add to that, in-person, the cladding is very sharp. The bridge adds some interest and every time I pass by it is looking better (not worse). It's nice to see Menkes spend the extra $$$ to make a standard "ok" design look the best it could possibly look. Plus, the street presence will be a welcoming addition with the public food court and retail.

I recall when the Waterfront regeneration got underway, there was excitement over what could be done with a blank slate. There was talk of making Queens Quay one of the premier avenues in the world.

In that context, I think calling this 'something that could've been much better than it is' is an understatement.

This was the perfect spot for something groundbreaking, a real landmark. Something that would really elevate the area. Instead we're building something on par (arguably worse) than Corus.

I hope we don't screw up the Portlands.

Last edited:
Taken today:

IMG-20201108-WA0008-01.jpeg

I don’t think it’s horrible as office buildings go. Actually I kinda like it ....buuut....I do think however that many people are disappointed due to the name and location and we’re expecting something exemplary here as the name suggests.

It's not bad.

Neither are the Aviva or KPMG office towers in Markham and Vaughan.

But that is not the standard I wanted our precious waterfront to aspire towards.
Why the comparison to Markham?

There are similar quality builds in the Financial District, that are as comparable. While I agree, this was a wasted opportunity for the waterfront, we all know it would have been celebrated in another area of DT. A far cry from tossing out words like "Markham" and "Vaughan".

It's just too bad all this online complaining won't amount to anything, which is honestly getting really boring.
I think we should be still be able to vent about something we don't like given the chance. Especially structures that are erected where we'll be seeing it for a lifetime...

...but your post does give rise to an interesting concept of buildings changing shape and form in realtime based on how we feel about them. I pretty sure our horizon will be filled with architectural platypuses that make no rhyme, sense or reason if that where the case though.

Back