That would be much appreciated by many. I know many people who hate grey, glass boxes as much as I do. In fact, I think it's a small minority of Torontonians who actually like those things. (and most of them are on this site)

There is well-designed, well-executed neo-modernism (or "grey boxes" as you call them) just as there is poorly designed, crappy neo-modernism. Likewise, there are different styles of architecture that are done poorly in some cases and well in others.

Pier 27 is an example of a more innovative approach to a condo design by Toronto standards. I would take it over the chance of getting a poorly designed, tacky alternative to neo-modernism that doesn't work as well.

Well, there are quite a few people who hate them so much that they buy one.

Most people I know, don't buy their condos based on a building's architecture or look, unfortunately. In fact, I know people who think their own condo building is ugly but they liked the location and the amenities of the condo, so that determined their purchase. How much real choice do people in Toronto really have? If you want to buy a new condo in the Entertainment District but you don't want an ugly grey glass/spandrel box? I don't see one single good alternative. You pretty much have to buy the standard box or you're shit out of luck. What if I wanted to buy a building with no amenities? Again, we are not given that option at all. I know a number of people who cannot find the type of condo that suits their needs because Toronto's condo supply is just so limited. We have lots and lots of condos going up but they all offer pretty much the same thing.

I think you should just keep it in the Gehry thread. that argument has been going on for months and I have come to avoid the thread because it gets so tedious. Keep the argument in that thread so those who don't want to see don't have to.

The reason I did it was to illustrate once again that in principle many Torontonians are keen on getting interesting looking buildings. But some people are only willing to admit outside the M-G context.

How much real choice do people in Toronto really have? If you want to buy a new condo in the Entertainment District but you don't want an ugly grey glass/spandrel box?

I guess looking at other people's "ugly grey glass/spandrel boxes" is also not enough of a disincentive for these people that they are prevented from purchasing their own "ugly grey glass/spandrel box." I think it's probably easier to assume that people like these boxes quite fine. Just as people like their neo-pomo suburban homes quite fine, but it offends our urbanist sensibility to assume this fact.

Sure, we would all like to live in a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, but just as living in a Rosedale mansion (or a Parkdale Victorian townhouse) is out of the reach of most middle class people nowadays, glass boxes are what's available. They are the ranch homes of the 21st century: based on such supple design ideas that they are infinitely adaptable and cost-effective, but are despised for being so ubiquituous.

I think there are incredibly problematic class ideas that are inherent in the popularity of the glass box, but I'm definitely one to stand up for the aesthetics of this particular development.

Last edited:
1rseASFl.jpg

Fantastic. Lovely photos, MafaldaBoy, thank you. I'm still not sure about the seafoam green on the sky bridges, but it does emphasize the horizontal nicely.

Fantastic. Lovely photos, MafaldaBoy, thank you. I'm still not sure about the seafoam green on the sky bridges, but it does emphasize the horizontal nicely.

Which will detract from the truss effect intended for the bridges when the motif is clad over the glazing.

Back