Here's a link to an article about the park, due to open this summer. Weird that they refer to the condo as "still under-construction 60-storey tower that's planned for the site", even though the article was published last month (March 2021). You can see from the renderings that the boulders will be placed along the paths, doubling as seats.

Today.
8398BA5C-C8D4-48A9-8BA3-7407FA42864E.jpeg
BD0CBA50-8816-4A67-815A-95225EC141B4.jpeg

Ummmm.

There's a reason we have 'Tree Protection Zones' during construction projects in this City.

It's to prevent exactly what you are seeing here.

Heavy vehicles compacting the soils, making it difficult for trees and shrubs to grow.

It's one thing to have a work vehicle on site that you need, off loading materials or plants.

It's another to be parking personal vehicles all over the place.

To be clear, we're not looking at the top soil; but unless we're quite likely will get only about 30cm worth of that which they will attempt to plant into.

Tree roots on caliper size trees (the size you usually see staked after planting) will already be running 3ft deep, if not a bit more.

The bottom 2/3 will likely have to reach into this compressed rock.

Not ideal.

Maybe, if we're very lucky, they'll drop a lot more than 1ft of soil.............but looking at the height of the concrete and the posts..........probably not.

Parks (even when under construction) are not parking lots!

Last edited:
With park construction well underway, and the building otherwise substantially complete; Councillor Wong-Tam is moving a motion at the next meeting of Council to contract with Lanterra to carry out streetscape improvements on
Breadalbane linking the new park and the small 'Opera Place' park across the street.

The City has $750,000 earmarked for the project.

Link to the motion:

From said motion, we see that traffic calming and 'green' improvements are also contemplated:

1622728572160.png

hmm, did the renderings allude to as much poured concrete for the sidewalks within the park, I think they were using different finishings ?

hmm, did the renderings allude to as much poured concrete for the sidewalks within the park, I think they were using different finishings ?

I think the secondary pathway is cast in place concrete; the primary pathway has unit paving of some type:

1622729330625.png

The paved sections may also need concrete support underneath. Having said all that, I won't be surprised if they ended up with more section in concrete though - nice paving always tended to get VE'ed out. or trimmed back (two recent examples - Aitken Place park and Love Park) It is one of the most annoying aspects of park projects in this town.

AoD

Yeah that's my biggest concern and while it seems like a minor element it really can make or break the aesthetics of these parks.

Back